Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The rocker on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thanos, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm about to buy a new 4x10 cab. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend though. Here's what's in my price range; Hartke vx410, Hartke 410TP, Fender Bassman 410H, Carvin RL410T, Gallien-Kreuger Backline 410.

I'm mostly play rock&metal, and I don't do any slapping whatsoever. I'm looking for something that has a strong low end. Any advice?

:bassist:

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a used peavey tvx 4x10. no comparison in that price range imo.

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Some more info might make it easier for us to help.

Four string bass and/or five?
    What amplification will you be driving the cab(s) with?
    What $$ range is represented by your example cabs?

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    budget? that's me! Avatar. you won't regret it...and you'll have some cash and watts left over.

5. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    Currently I have a 5 string and a 220 watt head. I plan on upgrading the head in the future, but right now it's what I got. :D

The cabs I listed represent a $450 upper limit.

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I don't have any experience with the cabs you have listed.

I believe that you could get a better 4x10 2nd hand in that price range.

I don't think the Avatar B410 has enough low end for a stand-alone cab with a 5 string bass, but the Avatar B212 Delta (at 4 ohm) can be had for $361 or you can wait a couple of weeks and get two B112 Deltas for your listed price range and either of those should meet your needs very well.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Unless it has got to be a 4x10, I'd get one of the 2x12 MM Audiophile cabinets that have been discounted from over $1000 down to $350.

8. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm not familiar with Avatar. Is it all mail-order like Carvin?

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´m a rocker on a budget too, and my Hartke 410TP have never let me down, so, One vote for the 410TP (no matter what other people say, it´s a good cab for the price):bassist:

10. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i've played a 4x10 TP once, at low volumes, and it sounded good.

Avatar, you have to call in your order, or email all the info. www.avatarspeakers.com

11. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    not trying to be argumentative but I use mine stand-alone all the time with my 6-string and it kicks...using a CarvinR1000. I don't live on the "B" string, but I do use my low-D a lot and the Avatar cab sounds solid and handles it great.:D
    I actually think it projects better than my 1x15/2x10 combination.

12. Thanos

Thanos

Apr 1, 2003
    St. Louis
    Ok, now I'm starting to lean towards Avatar. I like the fact that they make 2x12 cabs.

13. Thanos, locate a genz benz dealer in your area and check it out (XB2-410) the sound is deeeep and tight ,even the 210 is good as well....Peace

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanos said he wanted something with a "strong low end", he's into metal and he plays a 5 string. Now I realize that different people like different sounds, but my definition of "strong low end" is not a cab rated -3db at 76Hz.

I am not putting the B410 down, I just not sure it would be what he is looking for as a standalone cab.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Thanos, do a TalkBass search on Avatar B212; you'll find some good reports on the sound.

You can also email or phone Dave at Avatar. He's a great guy to do business with.

I think his cabs are currently the best bang for buck.

16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanos,

If you are considering the B212, think about getting the delta version. I think it has great low end response.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just thought i'd throw in another thumbs up for avatar cabs!

19. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Specs like that simply do not tell you that much about how a cab sounds, even when you're only talking about the low end. It took me a while to realize it, but now I'm convinced that those figures aren't all that helpful, and comparing specs between different manufacturers can be downright pointless. That being said, I haven't heard the B410 either.

20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I agree that specs don't tell the whole story and that they are often overly emphasized.

That being said, I have heard reports (mostly here on TB, but also other places) from owners of B410 (and also owners of B210 cabs) on both sides, some are happy with the sub 40Hz response and some are not. I should have mentioned these reports and stressed them over the specifications.

Part of it is what frequencies at what levels sound good to an individual and part of it is the sound pressure levels involved in making the music (high enough decibel levels down around 31Hz from one of these will result in rather rude noises is what I have heard from some owners--the specific db levels I haven't heard reported yet, but I would assume they are fairly high levels).

[I have emailed Dave about designing alternative nx10 cabs that give up some efficiency for a stronger low end response, but I have not yet prevailed upon him to do so.]