Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Rolex 24 @ Datyona International!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok race fans, I know it's almost a week late, but bear with, as I just got around to uploading my pics!
    As race fans know, this past weekend was the official kick off for Speed Weeks in Daytona. Starting off with the Rolex 24, and ending on the Daytona 500. I had the awesome oppurtunity this year to go to the 24 hour race for a total of 13 hours (cut short due to work - DAMMIT!). While there though, I took about 30 digital photos, and 4 or so minutes of video/sound on my digital camera. On top of that, I took my SLR and shot 5 rolls of 35mm goodness.
    Here's a link to most of the digital pics I have. Note the multiple Corvette shots (even though they did poorly this year :( they usually dominate the GT class).
    Smelling the fumes from the different fuels was rather unique, and being next to the fence with 5 or 6 cars blowing past you at 200+ MPH was very cool (and VERY loud!).
    There any other race fans out there who might've been there, or just interested in this in general? It kicked ass, and if you ever get the chance to go, I say TAKE IT! Tickets are stupid cheap - $20 gets you in for the entire race and you can come & go as you wish - and it's a very awesome expirence. I've been to the short track saturday night races, the pro and amatuer drags, the dirt races, and a few NASCAR events, and this is like no other.
    Anyway, post concluded, I just thought I'd share what for me, was an AWESOME expirence! :bassist:

Ray

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

here any other race fans out there who might've been there, or just interested in this in general? It kicked ass, and if you ever get the chance to go, I say TAKE IT!

I thought about going, but my wife's vacation scheduling didn't quite work out. I haven't seen endurance cars like that for many a year, but I loved them back in the day. I usually get to Portland for the CART race, that's about it these days.

20 bucks is a smoking deal for that quality of a field, I was blown away by how many great teams there were this year.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yeah really, and it was HUGE, what, 61 cars or something? Even the "slow" of the GT class were clockin' in at like 180MPH on the front stretch.
    Hopefully you can make it down next year for it, hey, I might even have a (cramped) place you could stay at if ya needed it to be cheaper ;).

Ray

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Awesome pics, thanks :). Man I love Porsches, time to go stare at the one in my garage.

:bag:

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, you now owe ME pics of your Porsche! haha, I thought that one turned out rather well. I can't wait to find money to have my 35mm developed and see how ****ty/good those are. There should be some serious awesome shots in there!

Ray

6. Passinwind

Thanks bro, I just might make it down there. I'm so old they were racing these back when I was going to Watkin's Glen: Howmet Turbine Car

[​IMG]

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hehe, that's kinda funny. So much is the same, so much is different, I think you'd enjoy it. Keep me in mind if/when ya decide you might make it down and drop me a PM, e-mail, IM or phone call and we can talk out details etc.

Ray

8. Is it just me, or does that car look like a slightly modified Ferrari GTO? Besides the color, I mean. Beyond the fact that's it's visibly shorter (length, not height) and that the back-end is squared-off, it looks exactly like one!!

Anyone here remember Shadow racing? And their SIX wheeled Indy car?:D

Rock on
    Eric

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Didn't 80 year old Paul Newman compete this year?

-Mike

10. Passinwind

Yeah, a lot of cars back then copped the GTO form. I saw the Howmet run once, and you could hear it all the way around the Glen, no problem.

Anyone here remember Shadow racing? And their SIX wheeled Indy car?

This one is the most memorable to me, with the ten inch wheels and 250 MPH top speed: [​IMG]

I remember the Shadow F1 cars, but the famous 6 wheelers in F1 were the Tyrell and the March: http://www.f1nutter.co.uk/tech/6wheels.php
    I thought I remembered a Shadow 6 wheeler, but I can't find any sign of it online?

Probably my favorite weird race car of all time was the Chaparral "vacuum cleaner" car, with the snowmobile engine sucking air out from under the car, and throwing stones and pavement at the competition. :bassist: Check it out: Chaparral 2J "Vacuum Cleaner"