1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Roots (and a few other artists)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassist15, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Ive known about the Roots for awhile and I think Hub is very underrated. But I was wondering what album of theirs is really good? Does their live album feature Hub's solo.

also I was wondering which Common album is good. I read that Pino has played with him so I wanted to knwo which album featuring Pino is good.
    It seems liek more and more these Rap/ Hip Hop aristists are really funky even though I wouldnt consider D'Agelo or Erykah Badu hip hop most of these bands are neo-soul or modern r&b/funk

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the live cd! We played with them in Belgium. Hub and ?Love were great.

3. so far i have of the roots
    Organix
    The Tipping Point
    The Roots Come Alive (live album)

from memory there really isnt a solo per-se of hubs...but again, its hip hop, it aint about solo's, its about the whole group....the albums ive got are really good

hip hop IMO isnt a "style", well it is style, but its more an attitude...hip hop is widely diverse....some other artists id suggest are:
    Raphael Saadiq
    A Tribe Called Quest
    De la Soul
    Skunkhour (aussie)
    Butterfingers (aussie)
    Meshell Ndegeochello

hub is a great bassist, one of my favourites...
    check out raphael saadiqs all hits at the house of blues, a 2 disc live album, with preston crump on bass....totally awesome

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hmm, cool thing about the roots is that their albums are all different.

Do you want more??? and Illadelph Halflife are pretty old school roots, and I think Illadelph Halflife is superiour, but of course the first album is great, too.

Things fall apart; Still pretty hiphop with some softer songs, more RnB style alike stuff, killer songs on this one! A must buy.

Phrenology is defenitely the most experimental one, some rock songs on it, RnB stuff, a beatbox/techno song, little hardcore rap (like the first ones)..not my favourite Roots album

The Tipping Point is more back to basics, more hiphop, less RnB, brilliant album as well, a very good first buy I think.

The Roots come alive is great, it's crazy what these guys pull off live, it gives a nice resumé of their entire carreer, although some of these songs have that extra more on record instead of live.

My favourite would be "Illadelph Halflife", closely followed by "Things fall apart" and "The Tipping Point".

Just buy them all ;)

Roots out/

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played Fretless on Commons recording called One Day It'll All Make Sense on a track called My City,that featured spoken word artist Malik Yousef.

here's a link to the track(for those who may be interested).

http://jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_common.html

6. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    I saw them play "The Tipping Point" for a show when i saw 311 and they opened..it was amazing..and such a good album...definetly what i consider to be good hip-hop

7. i just bought Homegrown! the beginners guide to understanding the roots vol 1 and 2.....i extremely reccomend getting both of these, live tracks, remixes, alternate mixes and unreleased tracks.....GO GET THEM NOW:smug:

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Too bad they didn't release them as a double, now they're asking 20 euro for each cd, which is a ripoff, considering the fact that I already have some of these rare and live tracks..

9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I dont know recordings but I know Hub blew me away.
    Nuttin but the groove.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Check out his playing on Fell in love with a boy by Joss Stone. Funky as hell.