Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Roots come alive

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    This is an amazing record! Most live hiphop recordings don't sound good to me, but The Roots take it to the next level! There is funk on this record, soul, jazz, a basssolo ("We've got my man Leonard Hubbard on bass"), a drum vs mc battle, and Jill Scott on "You got me", who is simply stunning.
    One moment they're playing hiphop and another one jazz :)

Another great thing is that you can actually hear what a great player Hub is, on studiotracks he likes to be in the back, be on this record he does a lot more!

You check it out, even if you're not into hip-hop!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Nice call. I'll definitely be checking that out.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I missed the chance to see them open for 311 because my friends made us late and missed the chance to see the opening act. I was like, "Oh well, the opening act probably sucks anyway." :(

311 wasn't that good, I wish they would have opened.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is one of those albums they should just give to newborn babies when they leave the hospital, "The Ultimate" is my favorite track, oh, and "Adrenaline".

5. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I actually caught them with 311 this past summer, definately dug them more than 311. Deep pockets in those Hip-Hop songs they lay down. Hub's solo worked in parts of Portrait of Tracy, groovy.

6. Hub's probably in my top five favourite bassists. Hearing 'Essaywhuman' on their album 'Do You Want More?' blew me away and made me join a hip hop band. I'd urge anyone who'd never heard it to check it out. ?uestlove is a cool drummer too. His breakbeats are pretty damn sick.

EDIT: Here's a nice little interview with Hub http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=3952

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

The end of "You got me" is insane, you should have seen the look on my drummer's face :D

8. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    hah, cool cool.

where's the bass solo on come alive? I am also a fan of Hub's solid groove playing.

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    There are no wanky basssolos, but in several tracks you have moments when only the bass is playing some wicked line.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Agreed. ? is the greatest funk/hip hop drummer ever. He sounds like a drum machine but 1000 times better.