Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Roots

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Didn't they have a song on a cd compilation called Red Star Sounds? I'm trying to find the name of it.

And if you have any other good tracks by the roots, list some.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get their live album. Leonard Hubbard will knock your socks off! He's amazing!

3. Roots are awesome. ?uestlove and Hub form one of the best rhythm sections in modern music in my opinion.

4. Ditto for the live album. It's amazing man. Leonard seems to always lay down a big, fat, tasty bass line, no matter what the song is. That's why he's on my list of influences, because I'm so far from being able to lay down a groove that has space and so many ideas in it. However, I'm a sucker for bass, drums, and rhodes together, so this album blew me away.

Also, the few songs that are on the second disc of that album are great. Especially the studio tunes.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I also endorse the Roots, very cool. Hip Hop at it's best.

6. Glad to see there are more Roots fans here... I think it was Bassline (maybe) who recommended them to me in an im years ago... too bad it took me so long to check them out.

I'm not what you would call a fan of this stuff, but this is great.

7. haven't checked out the live album yet, but it's been on my list for some time. some of my favorite roots tracks -

adrenaline
    respond/react
    distort to static
    100% dundee (that's rahzel doing the bass and drums, at the same time, with his voice. incredible.)

edit: oh yeah, and concerto of the desperado (R-double-O-T-S check the flow) :D

8. I love the Roots. Any of their albums, I think, are great. Its refreshing to see a new hip-hop BAND that take it back to being an artform.

9. I hate Jay-Z's music, but does anyone have his unplugged album? I know the Roots did all of the instrumentation for it.

10. My roommate has it and I listened to it last week. It's alright. The Roots sound great and they definitely add a good feel to the show, but they're playing Jay-Z's tunes so they don't get a lot of room to show their stuff. It's more or less a very vocally oriented hip-hop. Not my thing personally, but some sure like it.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I saw the Roots on Halloween - it was un-freaking-believable. Their albums are great, but they are amazing live!! Like many others here have said, check out their live album...

My favorite studio album of theirs is Illadelph Halflife... with Things Fall Apart a close second...

Heh- it is refreshing... but they aren't new! :D They've been around for about ten years.