1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rum Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, May 11, 2010.

1. I really like rum. Maybe it's because I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas too much, maybe it's because I'm a pirate (of sorts, anyway) and maybe it's because I'm not old enough to appreciate the flavors of bitter plant flowers and wood in my alcoholic beverages.

Either way, I like Bacardi Products myself, but I hear good things about Appleton Estates and Black Seal. Captain Morgan is alright but the spices I could do without...and Bacardi's prices are right, at least around here.

2. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Ron Zacapa

Sailor Jerry's

YES

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Appleton Estates is quite nice. I don't care for the V/X, but like the aged. Then again, I'm not a huge rum fan (prefer the bourbon, myself). If you can find it, check out Old New Orleans rum. I think its mostly sold in the NoLa area. I'll take their cajun spiced any day over Capt. Morgan, but put their "crystal" on par with a Bacardi Silver. Nothing special, but not bad.

4. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Tried Cachaça?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    When I turned 21, I drank gallons and gallons of rum. During a gig, I attempted to break a Bacardi bottle over my forehead. That evening ended up with me in the hospital.

Just the smell of rum reminds me of those decadent years in my life, so I'm done with rum.

-Mike

6. I can't say that I have. What is it?

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    It's similar to rum, but made directly from sugar cane instead of molasses. A Brazilian friend introduced me to it, but it's available in the US.

Neat, it's roughly the equivalent of getting cracked in the skull with a concrete-filled PBR can. In cocktails it's wonderful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cachaça

8. Ugh. I'll have to get some really soon. Because that sounds awesome.

9. This is the good stuff.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Blech. Hate rum.

11. Haters gonna hate. Besides, you were more a beer guy if I recall.

Hmm. I will have to check this out once I get paid. Sadly, right now I can't afford much, so I'm going for quantity over quality at this point. BUT splurging on something good is required very soon.

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'll also say that I'm a big fan of Oronoco Brazilian rum. It's probably the only "Clear/Silver" rum I've ever had that you could actually drink straight. Plus the leather-clad bottle is just plain cool.

13. I have consumed Bacardi Gold, Silver and 151 straight. Silver (aka Superior) is the smoothest of the three.

But that looks most attractive. Even if it is $35 a fifth...

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    That I am sir. Beer is the beverage that personally hits that spot for me, and prolly always will be.

I dunno, maybe if I tried a more expensive and better tasting rum I would like it, but it just doesn't agree with me that much.

15. Rum is a lot like beer. There is a great deal of swill out there that is consumed by those that are either ignorant of the really good stuff, or too cheap to buy it. Like beer, once you try the truly well-made rum, you will drink it again. I'm a fan of the Single Cask Cruzan myself, very smooth, deep flavor, no burn, no "snap", almost like drinking cognac or a good whiskey.

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm...

I'm gonna try it out some time. I do like a good flavored whiskey, and brandy and cognac are staples of my family on my mom's side, and if you say that a good rum can be close to these, I might be willing to at least give it a try.

17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Rum is one drink I've never been able to get into, despite extensive research. Thanks for the pointer, that might be just what I need.

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Bought a bottle of this once:

[​IMG]

Pretty harsh stuff.... but by the time I finished it..... I sorta missed it. Might have to buy another bottle some time.

19. Had some Captain Morgan's yesterday. According to my friends it's on the lower end of the scale (my first time having any alcohol really). It smelled like vanilla and tasted like LIES!! Yea, so I'd never drink the stuff straight but mixed in with something super fruity, in my case Welch's 100% grape juice, I could barely tell it was there :).

20. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tommy Bahama's white rum is really freaking good. When I was in the UK I drank a lot of Havana Club, something we can't get in the States thanks to the Cuban embargo. If/when that gets lifted I'm buying a case of it.

As for spiced, I'm more partial to Sailor Jerry's or Captain Morgan's Private Stock.