1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Rut

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Bassman197835, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    I notice you said you have never felt stuck in a rut with your playing. I agree that great teachers are the fastest most accurate method to learn any instrument. Perhaps Ive just not had great! teachers over the years? Im curious as to how you rehearse? Do you have a certain rehearsal method that you have stuck with that you feel kept you learning and full of ideas over the years?? Ive never spent time learning others songs with exception to Jazz Standards to make a living before my band got anywhere. And pieces of this and that. As you said when we spoke the other day. Learning someone elses song no matter how technical is still just repeating and in no way an indicator of their skill. I opposite you. Feel Ive been in a rut for 2-3 years. Sure I can play. But I dont feel Im getting any better! than I was last year. Or the year before. Im very bored with my playing these days. Perhaps a change of rehearsal style? Of course you cant judge my playing through text. I do understand. All I can say to inform you of my skill level is that yes I can groove and I wouldnt be where I am now if I couldn't. So Im confident Im above average. But I cant seem to get past that pocket groove much. My playing is like old school R&B. Groovin all day! And sounds great! but very basic...Where I feel at this point I should have no problems going beyond that pocket groove into a whole new world. As guys like yourself,Marcus and Vic for example,are able to do.

2. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    I guess to add.. My definition of "groove" means writing a hook. The bass line that no matter how basic sticks in the ear and goes round and round smooth as butter. A groove to me makes people dance. No feet moving.. No groove. Just my definition.

3. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    I feel this dont even needs an answer anymore :) If you get time I'd love to hear your thoughts. But I have been studying you Anthony since I signed up to this a few days ago. My apologies I was not aware of your video's or classes. My ignorance for not knowing you. This is what I see as my problem. Ive studied watching Vic DVD's and I could go for days!! Almost all of which taught Right hand technique. A lot of it I didnt grasp! i.e. I am no!! slapper. Never was good at it. Now I think I understand why. What I have never done! Is take the time to break down my rhythm. Or the "yard stick" as you talk about in the video with Vic. I think proper syncopation is whats holding me back. Although I feel! i have rhythm. I learned quite a bit from the "yard stick" break down. And I think taking myself back to simple beat breakdowns and spend more time mastering rhythm is whats gonna bring me to the next level of playing. I appreciate your time Anthony and apologies for not realizing I could answer my own questions with your teaching classes. I just didnt know you did any...
    Later!

4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Bassman,

There are many 'components' to being a good player with dexterity, knowledge base and rhythmic complexity being very important components. And 1 of the 3 missing and your playing suffers.

That is the advantage to studying with a person who has a real curriculum and opposed to studying with someone who will just,…'show you stuff'.

'Showing you stuff' and 'teaching' are very different things.

It sounds to me that you need a curriculum. Just from your postings it sounds like your swinging at a constantly moving target. and it seems that you're trying to get it in bits in pieces in TB postings. but your issue can't really be addressed in a forum.

But that's for you to realize.

My recommendation is that you find a 'real' teacher.

peace,
    anthony

5. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    Thank you and I believe you're 100% correct on everything. I keep trying dif methods of asking but as you say its not something thats easily addressed in forum. In looking back at my teachers its pretty much just as you say. I found great musicians but they werent great teachers! I appreciate your thoughts. A lot of this was jumbled due to me not knowing how to explain my ability. But through all the dif post I actually have learned something...Im not as good as I thought I was! :) In comparison to you guys my knowledge of timing seems limited. And I believe that to be causing my "rut". Notes themselves mean nothing if you dont know where and when to place them. You should definitely!!! start some DVD tutorials! I see you as being a good teacher from the little Ive read and seen on You Tube it seems you're just as gifted at teaching as playing. I know a lot of "bassist" like me that that could benefit from some really good timing instructional. I learned a lot just from the "yard stick" tutorial. Thanks for your time buddy! And as confusing as my jumbled post were lol. Im leaving feeling as if you taught me something.

6. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

Oct 31, 2013
    i.e One DVD I spent a lot of time with is from someone you know well. And that person is one of the best Bassist in the history of the electric Bass. And a huge! inspiration! But nothing ever covered breaking down the timing of the lesson. There were a lot of techniques taught both right and left hand. But never was it broken down to a point of 'ok here's the pattern,lick whatever you wanna call it. And here is how we break it down rhythmically' so while learning patterns and bits. I never truly learned how to count what I was doing to get a better grasp of exactly how much time I had before I had to get back to the one. The Bass world could use your teaching ability on a broad spectrum Anthony lol.