The Rutles.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Auzzie-Phoenix, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Ok... so when I went home to go skiing about 2 weeks ago, my dad showed me a joke film that was sponsored by George Harrison. It featured several monty python actors and a few from older saturday night live (rita rudner and jim belushi), as well as bill murray and mick jagger. This film was called The Rutles.

If you have seen this movie, please discuss.

2. Hi.

I remember seeing the flick, but since I don't remember the specifics, I doubt that I found it interesting.

I have to do a raincheck, ASAP ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    C-H-E-E-S-E-A-N-D-O-N-I-O-N-S Oh no.....

Love that song.

4. OUCH! Please don't hurt me OUCH!

Love the movie. I will say, it makes much more sense if you know a lot about the history of the Beatles.

For instance "He actually said the Rutles were bigger than Rod."
    Pure genius, if you know the backstory to it.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Just...not funny...:meh:

It's like a comedy with no jokes and the Beatles are just the most obvious target...:meh:

It might have sounded like a good idea but they forgot to write any gags...?

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I'm with Bruce on this one. I saw it and had a few chuckles, but it wasn't something that really entertained me.

7. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I thought it was pretty funny at the time, but I was young and a big Beatles fan. Plus, Eric Idle was in it and I loved Monty Python. I'm not sure how it would hold up now.

I do still chuckle when I think of "Les Garcons De La Plage".:D

8. Don't you mean Gilda Radner and John Belushi?

9. probably... I always get the 2 mixed up. I'm horrible with names. Just ask my co-workers, who after almost 3 years of working next to them, I still have no clue who they are.

10. All you need is cash....

11. My favorite part is when they go talk to the old bluesmen about the origins of The Rutles music.

12. How about the Yoko Ono-like girlfriend that was a Nazi? :D
    That had to make you laugh.

13. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    Actually, there were two Rutles movies, and they were huge hits in the UK. If you didn't grow up in the 60's, you probably won't get most of the jokes.

14. I thought the second was just a remake?

15. undeadbass

undeadbass

Jun 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I love that the Rutles played at Che Stadium. Good times.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I did grow up in the 60s and believe me - there are no jokes in the Rutles ...:meh:

17. Bruce Lindfield

That's not what I would call a joke - it's not clever and it's a really obvious thing to do...:scowl:

So - you take the most well-known band ever and put an alternative version of them on screen - why is that funny?

Now in "Life of Brian" the Pythons take a well-known figure and do the same sort of thing - but they didn't forget the jokes - there are genuinely funny lines and ideas!

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!! " :)

18. "Mum, they think I'm the Messiah (SLAP!) Mum!"

19. I've always loved the Rutles. Heck until I was about 10 or 11 I didn't even realize they weren't a real band because all I had was their LP and hadn't seen the movie. Its funny, but isn't for everyone as is a lot of Python-esque humour.

20. There's a scene in "The Rutles" where Dirk McQuickly (Eric Idle) appears with a giant safety pin through his head. My two good friends and I had an originals band back in the early 80's. We made one of these big safety pins and had it in our jam hall.

Some of the first tunes we ever learned in high school were by The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Ramones. And when we got tired of working on our own rock and roll stuff, we take a break and play some of these punk tunes. Naturally one of us would put on the safety pin through the head a la Dirk McQuickly.

Oh man, to be young and stupid again......instead of just stupid !

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021