1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Sad Story of Mick Taylor, Guitarist Extraordinaire.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thor, May 7, 2010.

1. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Former Rolling Stone lives a life of poverty in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...or-lives-rundown-Suffolk-semi-shabby-car.html

The whole story is a testament to the greed of Jagger and
    Richards.

I recommend 'A Stone Alone' by Bill Wyman as additional
    reading. The Stones denied much of what was written, but
    interestingly enough, Wyman had retained many of the
    original documents and contracts over the years and published
    copies of the documents to support his remarks.

Also, now that Exile on Main Street outtakes are being released,
    somehow I doubt that Mick Taylor will have any benefit from the
    material he co-wrote and helped produce and record.

Interesting to note that with the Stones current creative
    slump on, they return to that period to draw on 'new' creative
    material. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's been a long time since I had any respect for Jagger and company.

2. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I just received my " Stone Alone" from Amazon this pastTuesday..I have not yet started to read it.....

I did visit Bill Wymans restuarant " Sticky Fingers" in London last year...pretty nice place loaded with Rolling Stones memorabilia....gold albums, posters, guitars including Brian Jone's Goldtop....the food was pretty good too. Wyman was not htere and the wait staff said he comes in a few times a year...all planned.

3. i remember the day i brought home my new copy of goats head soup.........anticipating another great stones album i sat down to listen,but i soon started skipping from track to track wondering what had happened to them.......i gave the record to a bud a few days later.......i've heard the odd song i've liked,but never been able to get through a complete stones album after exile......

my ex wife spent a couple of hundred to take me to see them in the nineties,and i didn't have the heart to tell her that i wouldn't open my door to watch them play a free concert on my front lawn,so i went,and faked it.....

there's something very familiar about the thread re roger watters tix selling for four hundred bucks.....the thought of aging rock stars gouging the people that made them rich by buying their records and going to their shows,with phoned in performances and overblown stage bs,just don't seem like rock and roll to me......

watching richards and jagger doing those whacked out parodies of their stage moves is not unlike two aged drag queens in the throes of dementia.....pathetic

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Reminds me of Credence Clearwater and their poor contract with Fantasy Records.

Get it writing and get and retain a good attorney.

But those were ostensibly The Good Ole Days.

5. Thor

I did catch the abomination of the Super Bowl show a few
    years back. That was pathetic.

MT is a fine, fluid and melodic guitar player with beautiful
    phrasing and well nuanced licks. The second solo on the live version
    of Sympathy for The Devil on Get Your Ya Ya's Out is a stellar example
    of his playing. He literally blew Keith's doors off.

We had tickets to see him at the Narrows Center for the Arts
    in Fall River, Mass last weekend. Unfortunately, the show was
    cancelled due to MT having come down with double
    pneumonia. That place is a great spot to see a show, 200
    people, intimate, nice tables and BYOF and BYOB.

I did see MT on the Hendrix Experience tour a few years back and he killed,
    as did Robbie Krieger of The Doors that night. (Buddy Guy sounded like Crapola,
    much to my dismay.) Anyway, MT still has serious chops. He played slide that
    night, very accomplished slide blues work.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    In Ronnie Wood's book he also talks about being broke in the 80's before they made him a member of the band. The list of rich rock royalty that are cheap is quite long.:meh:

7. Thor

I suspect Mick J is at the top of that list.

8. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    He should hire a good lawyer and have at it. They'd likely settle quietly out of court for a decent sum. Then, he should have it invested well and live into dodderhood peacefully.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Mick's work with the RS is my favorite guitar work on their stuff. Period. Check out "Can't you hear me knockin" and "Time Waits for No One".

Loved his early stuff with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers too.

Sad that he's having a rough time after all that.

10. Thor

11. Thor

Amen to all.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Is this the Stones' version of becoming a "made man"? :p

I agree. Even if Mick J. and Keith have managed to get entirely off the hook from a contractual standpoint, they're totally on the hook from a moral and ethical standpoint - enough so that even they should want to avoid the stink of bad PR by still refusing to play ball.

I suspect that Mick T. is being too much of a gentleman about all this. Not an effective way to deal with a Street Fighting Man... :meh:

MM

13. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!! Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    Yes a sad story indeed, kind of reminds me of Ace Frehley. Better musician than his bandmates, but could not keep the drugs and alcohol under control. One thing that I do hate is the fact that noone has anything nice to say about the guys in the band who had a vision and kept their act together enough to continue to make their business (after all that is what a band is, right?) work for them. Yes, Mick and Keith may have struggled with demons, but they did not let it own them. I stopped reading this "sad" article when I found out that Mick Taylor left the band on his own free will. Maybe he should spend less time blaming Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and spend a little more time blaming his drug habbits. If he was going to continue to use drugs anyway, he should have stayed in the band. More than likely, he was pretty much set up for life when he left the band. Obviously his drug habits got too expensive for him. Does anyone se a recurring theme here? Don't get me wrong beating drugs is no easy thing to do, but if you can't stop placing blame on everyone but yourself recovery is impossible. Just my two cents.

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I for one will tip my hat to Mick J. and Keith for being shrewd and cunning businessmen. No question about that.

And no doubt Mick T. could have - and should have - been much more savvy about business, by protecting his interests legally - ideally before having joined the Stones in the first place.

On the other hand, from a strictly human standpoint, he has already stated that had he remained with the Stones, he would be dead by now. And he should know.

Also from a human decency standpoint, if Mick J. indeed promised co-writing credit to Mick T. for the songs on which Mick T. actually collaborated, then he should man up and follow through on his word. To say nothing of the record royalties that are legitimately due to Mick T.

MM

15. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    For screwing Taylor out of royalties due him? Give yer head a shake.

16. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Sounds like to me that Mick Taylor is blaming Mick Jagger for Taylor's own laziness. Should he be getting royalties? I don't know exactly how that legally works, but it's not a reason to just play pub gigs and not improve your own quality of life.

He's fat, lazy and depressed. That's Mick's fault?

17. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    He never blamed Jagger for that. Sounded to me like he was taking full responsibility for who he is. He just wants royalties for music he unquestionably helped create.

18. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I read a lot of negativity in his comments. I didn't see him taking responsibility for anything. I do wish him the best though. Heroin is a demon so many people succumb to and it's hell getting off it.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It would not hurt MJ & the Stones to pony up the doe owed to MT. Its not like they cant afford it. They must have known their management was screwing over MT when they changed record companies. If they knew about it, or even pushed for it, that is very low.

OTOH, MT is at least partly responsible, as his unwillingness to take care of business only served to hurt himself... and now he is complaining about it? Yes, he was wronged, but if he's just going to let it happen.... well, he's at least partially responsible for the mess he is in.