Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Sadowsky does it again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Used my Fodera Emperor 5 and my Sadowsky Metro 5 (RV5) on a country session Monday in my studio.

Both recorded killer, but the Sadowsky had that little something extra that made all the difference, not only to me but to the producer as well.

Someone tell me why I sold my US Sadowsky again????? Oh yeah....got a killer deal on my Fodera.

Did I mention my Fodera is up for sale??? And I looking for another Sadowsky!?!?!

Recorded thru the Groove Tubes Ditto tube DI with Telefunkin tubes, killer tube DI BTW, I now own one!

2. I know the real reason...

So that I could have the ideal bass!

[​IMG]

The single coils in this bass are so crisp it defines the concept of deep punch. I love to play it, and it gets the best comments from bandmembers, soundguys & audience.

Thanks again, Mike.

Aloha,

Jonathan

3. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
    Man, why did you do that to me????!?!?!?!!? :bawl:
    Good looking bass tho!!! :D

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I agree. I've owned pretty much all the high end stuff. My Sadowsky's just sound better than the rest to me, IMO. Punchy, never boomy or mushy, clear as a bell. Keeps you on top of your playing, too. You can hear every little thing you do, right of wrong!! Every nuance!! I love them.

I dont know why you sold your USA 5!!! LOL

When is the Sadowsky amp coming along!?

Rob

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, Not only a good lucking bass but a much better looking player!!, I'll take the Fodera off your hands for a grand , good backup for my Metro.
    Steve B
    PS: Played the LDS 3 X 8, Great Cab, unfortunently it can't do what I want (impedence problems) I'm probably going to have Don build me a 2 X 10

6. +1 to everything above.

That's the reason I sold my Fodera. Well, that and the Nordstrand!

Jeff

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like Sadowsky basses, i hope i can swing a NYC soon.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had a very similar experience with one of Theorem's recordings. I just bought my Sadowsky 24 fret 5 string a month or so before hand and my main player art the timer was my Spector USA NS-5. I played the Sadowsky for the 1st 2 songs I wanted to use the Spector for the next 2. I plugged her in and I couldn't believe how much better the Sadowsky sounded, to me. (The Spector didn’t sound bad, the Sadowsky just sounded better) The engineer told me he like the sound of the Spector but he thought the Sadowsky sounded better. So, I strapped the Sadowsky back on.

9. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I used "my" old Sadowsky on quite a few sessions and a freakin' ton of gigs and never once did I ever second guess it. Your a lucky guy Jonathan!! Call me when you want to sell it back to me!
    While the Fodera sounded great, the Sadowsky was more "home" to me.

I'll tell ya, my Metro kills me every time I pick it up. Two thirds the price and damn near 100% of the US version. I'm on the quest for another US Sadowsky 5!!

Steve- a grand?!?!!
    plus your Avalon and your Metro and your Pedulla and your 410 and it's yours!! ;)
    You gotta check out the GT Ditto DI Steve, it's pretty nice!

10. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I have a Sadowsky MV5 and I'm having a bit of trouble with the brightness since it's an ash/maple. Have any of you had luck with getting more of a warm fuzzy tone by adding the vintage tone control/treble roll-off? Has anyone done this with an ash/maple combo?

It's a great bass - I just need some tweaking.

11. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

When I had my US ash/maple Sadowsky (and I do this on most all of my basses anyway) I dial back the passive tone about 25-30%.
    Also, try using the bass & treble very little. I found the key to getting what I needed was very small amounts of boosting on the pre-amp.
    You kinda have to re-think how you would normally us the EQ on the bass. I found with their pre-amp, the smaller the adjustment the better.
    Hell, the high end on the pre will take your head off if ya boost it enough. And the lows, cartoon-ish if ya crank them up.
    Wanna kill just about ANY speaker cab?!?!? turn up your amp with the lows on the bass flat and hit the low B, then crank the lows up and stand back!! :D

Back to your question, try running the pre-amp pretty flat and roll back the passive tone a bit. This may do the trick.

12. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Aloha Jonathan , I haven't heard from you ever since my last mail.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Yea. Set the treble basically flat or off on your amp, too

Rob

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Rude, I bought the Alder/Rosewood beacause of the brightness, bit I did add the vintage tone control, It really does help to add a little roundness to the tone and take the edge off. I played Mike's old bass and that was a ash/maple but it didn't seem to be to bad, I imagine the vintage tone contol would help them to. But mike is right about the pre, I use my pickup blend as a tone control more then my EQ's as they do provide a ton of boost. Remember his EQ is boost only, so if there halfway thats a silly amount of EQ

15. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia

I haven' heard anything from you since my last mail to you ?
    What's up doc?

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Where is the treble knob set on your amp?

17. I've posted elsewere about my new MV4 being too bright for me too. I've tried some different strings too. Since then, I've tried exactly what you're talking about with the eq and vtc. It does help tremendously and I'm liking it more. I do have it for sale but no real interest, so I'm probably going to keep it because it's a killer bass and plays so nice. I'm finding that the eq on my Metro is slightly more powerful than my NCY PJ4. I've got flats on my PJ and just love it, my main bass.

Has anyone tried DR Fatbeams on ther METRO MAPLE/ASH?
    I'm generally not a SS string fan and currently have tried all nickel strings. I have Sadowsky Nickel Brights on my MV4 again and so far they sound the best. I've tried TI Power bass (which I like on my Lakland) but they stink on the MV4.
    I tried TI Super Alloys (yuck on MV4), TI Jazz Flats (also no good on MV4). I would like to try the DR Sunbeams, Fatbeams, and LoRider SS and Nickel. I'll also post this portion on the String Forum. Thanks in advance.

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    +1. I'm looking forward to hearing that as well. It would be hard to part with my iAMP800 but somehow I think my Bergies HT210/115 will sound really good with a Sad amp and my Metro.

19. I've been running D'Addario Slowwounds with the tapered B string on the Sadowsky, and they are ideal for me. Last weekend I switched them out for a set of Sadowsky SS and after a full setup and a days woodshedding I took them off and put the old Slowwounds back. I have a spare set put away, but since they don't make them anymore, I don't knbow what I'll switch to.

My basic setting for a gig is with about half bass boost and no treble boost and the pickup selector slightly favoring the bridge pickup and the volume at 3/4 and a bit of treble cut. The amp settings vary with the room.

From song to song I make small adjustments to the volume and pickup blend and treble cut. I also weave a handkerchief into the strings by the bridge as a mute for songs that want a more "upright" tone, along with full neck pickup.

ALoha,

Jonathan

I may be ugly, but I got the pretty bass.

20. I have Fat Beams on my Sadowsky MV5 at the moment, and while they sound good, they don't sound as good as they do on my fender jazz. The D and G string sound very ok though, but the E and A string are too bright and generate weird overtones. I have a Sadowsky stainless tapered B-string on it, and that one really smokes. Didn't like the rest of the Sadowsky string sets at all. I tried Hi-Beams before this set and they sound better than the Fat Beams on my Sadowsky. While they sound bright in the upper highs , they don't have the irritating overbright mid-highs that most other stainless strings have. My advice: Try High Beams on your MV4 and cut some treble on your amp (or on your VTC if you have it).

R.