The Sansamp GT2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Sep 13, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The used Sansamp GT2 that I scored from E bay arrived today. Aluminum box, four knobs (level, high freq, low freq, drive), three slider switches (mic, mod, amp) and a footswitch.

I placed it like so: BSW>Super Comp>GT2>350X>Goliath III

First the little switches: These determine the limits of your EQ. The knobs allow for some tweaking within the range defined by the switches.

Mic has three positions: off axis, center, classic. (shrug) I thought any position was good.
    Mod also has three: Hot Wired, Hi Gain (gritty setting) and clean
    Amp: Cali/Mesa Boogie (usable, angry setting for bass), British/Marshall ( too tinny), Tweed/Fender (clean bass)

OD quality: IMO it's tamer than a Sparkle Drive even at Hi Gain + California settings. The boost does wake your amp up. I played with it a bit by placing my American Woman upstream of the GT2. I didn't like the way it smoothed out the nasty torn driver qualities of the AW.

Tweakability: Very adjustable. If you take the time to figure it out you'll find the sound in your head. The knobs respond well. The Mod and Amp switches give you a lot of different usable tones. IMO British was too trebly for bass but it was late already and I didn't want to test it by boosting my amp's EQ and cranking her up. BTW, Don't operate the sliders without turning your amp down. Trust me on this :oops:

Overall, it's a good pedal to have if you like a powerful multi voiced EQ unit. I think the target market is the traveling musician who can't determine what kind of gear he will be plugging into at the places that hire him.

Don't buy it if you're looking for grating distortion.
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    The GT2 is my main overdrive device. I like the California (MESA) setting because it has the best low end response. At least it does in my rig.

Nice review. Thanks.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Agreed, the California has the best low-end response (I have one of these pedals too.)

One of my preferred settings for bass is Mic at Classic, Mod at Clean, Amp at California, and the Drive knob all the way down (and the EQ knobs to taste). In my setup this results in a nice thick dirty-but-not-distorted tone with mids that I just can't get out of my Bass Driver DI. The BDDI actually sounds very similar to the Tweed settings on this pedal, which are more scooped in the lower midrange with some bright twanginess.
  4. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005

so the american woman has good freq. response with bass? I think you mentioned it on one of my threads before. What kind of stuff could I use it for... is it simply the blown driver sound like you were talking about, or could I get a fat bottom ended gritty tone out of it?
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The closest I can compare the distortion quality to is the riff after the stop @ 5:00 into Grand Funk's version of Gimme Shelter. It's a guitar riff but if you imagine that sound mixed with more bass that's close to what the AW churns out at medium drive and tone settings.

It also responds nicely to your attack. The slight variations give you that broken speaker effect.

Back on topic:

After a bit of moving pedals around, I settled for putting my DT Bass Driver upstream of the GT2. The Digitech gives the SansAmp more drive to... well... drive and to apply that great EQ to. :bassist:
  6. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    anyone use theirs for a dedcated distortion as opposed to OD? if so, what are some good settings and what artist sounds can you compare it too?