The "Save my back" thread....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lomer, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Gday guys, chasing some advice on a new amp setup to replace my Bassman 300 Pro. I love the tone this amp provides but unfortunately after years of lugging this thing around and too much jumping around on stage my back is shafted.

Looking for something lightweight (anything up to 45lbs will be fine), needs to be LOUD (my drummer is "energetic") and needs to be able to produce a nice overdriven tone. Clean tone is not so much of an issue for me, my current setup never gets turned off the dirty channel anyway :p

Was thinking of maybe getting a nice PA and then finding a good preamp. Anyone know of any good pre's for a good overdriven tone? The whole setup is Thunderbird -> Fender Bassman -> Berg NV610 if it helps however the cab stays hahaha

2. tony_clifton

tony_clifton

Nov 14, 2009
    If the 610 stays no matter what, I'd say get a good class D amp. Markbass is said to do the SVT trick pretty good. I like the Orange Terror Bass a lot myself.

If you take a Sansamp or the like for a preamp you don't even need to bring the rest to gigs, only the Sansamp in your gigbag is enough to get you hooked up to a PA. And you can still run it in front of your amp to get some versatility if you want to.

This, imo, is a better/smaller/more lightweight solution than a PA. But who am I :)

3. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I have the same issue and I just bought this.
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1937&brandID=3
    It exceeds your weight requirement but it is awesome! I couldn't believe the volume I got out of this little guy. The tilt design is something I was also looking for due to loud guitar volume. I use a small lightweight folding dolly for mine with a bungie.
    CART2.jpg

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I second the MarkBass suggestion. Grab one of those suckers and you'll never have to worry about straining your back lugging gear ever again.

5. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The Markbass Little Mark Tube (500w) would give you the sound you want in a 7-lb head.

If you want something lighter than the Berg, run it into an ultralight Epifani cabinet, and your life will be complete. The UL2 310 is an absolute killer with MB heads, and is only 53 lbs.

If I needed this kind of horsepower, this is the rig I would go out and buy today.

6. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hrmm after just hearing some samples of the Little Mark Rocker I may be keen on getting one of those when they become available in Aus! Will check out some Little Mark Tube samples too, cheers!

7. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    If you need something loud, the LMTube 800 will hang with anything. I play in an incredibly loud rock band myself and only need to push mine about 2/3 to keep up.

8. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA

Mesa.

/thread

I kid! I kid. Although a 61-pound 210 wouldn't make it onto my back's "friends" list.

Have you already considered the new lightweight GK combos? I love my but 210s but I hear that the 212 is lovely this time of year. And loud as balls and 40 pounds kthxbai

--Bomb :bassist:

p.s. If your plan includes a nice PA, won't you and your back have to schlep the PA? Are you looking for a lightweight PA?
    :confused:

9. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Forgot to mention that I recently lost 25 LBS. So, would someone check my math?
    Lost 25
    Hartke Combo=61 LBS
    Difference 36 LBS.
    So my new cab is only like carrying a 36 lb one compared to two months ago when I was a cow. LOL

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008

Attached Files:

11. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Hey, I found the 25 pounds you lost...But I don't want them anymore...:help:!

X8

12. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Too late. All sales are final.