The Schecter Bass Thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Dec 26, 2005.

1. basshero1107

basshero1107

Jun 20, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    i have a schecter stiletto elite 5...beautiful bass.

2. I'm bought an Aguilar OBP-3 to put in my Schecter Studio 6. Should this be an easy replacement?

Stflbn or anyone else, let me ask...

Stock, the Studio 6 has 2 passive EMG soapbars and an 18v Tone Pump Jr. preamp.
    If you switched to active pickups, would you have to add a 3rd or 4th battery to power them?
    I was thinking of replacing, only the bridge pickup with a EMG DC45 Dual Coil. It's active... how would i go about that?

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Honestly, the OBP-3 stays dead flat on my Studio 5 at least 90% of the time. It's the Kent Armstrong custom wound pickups that i'm in love with tone-wise.

With the OBP-3 I can flip the active/passive switch and hear no noticable change in tone, which is great.

I didn't install mine. As you know I had Brian at Low End do it. While he was installing it I had him wire it up Series/Parallel along with the Active/Passive. I keep each of the Humbucker pickups in Series mode the vast majority of the time. Just exactly the punchy tone i love.

I could probably wire one up now if I took my time and had a ton of time to spare and didn't need the bass anytime soon in case of flaws in my wiring, but I'd probably just have Brian do it again.

:)

4. Okay, I'm buying the Aguilar Obp-3 preamp and a pair of EMG Active pups to put in my Stiletto Studio-6.

One EMG is the DC45CS ( Ceramic ) & the other is DC45DC ( Dual Coil )

TBers : Which position should I put each? I usuall run my basses with the pickups even or favoring the bridge a hair when soloing.

5. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    EMG suggests the DC at the bridge with that pair. Research on TB confirms.

6. Funny, a luthier just mentioned EMG told him the DC wasn't meant for the bridge...as it's harsh in that position. It seems to me that the DC's added attack would work well with the roundness of the neck positoin...and the CS would warm up the usually bright burpy bridge position...oh well. we'll try both.

7. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    that's the beauty of the quick connect! (and if the dc isn't meant for the bridge someone forgot to tell spector!)

8. I love the C-5 But I cant find any on ebay

9. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Put a DC in the bridge and CS in the neck yesterday with a pair of extra hands provided by my brother. EMG techs were right on with recommending the DC for the bridge based on my needs. It's perfect, as a matter of fact, I'd like another one for the neck as the CS is a bit too Fender for me. The DC is clearer, brighter, deeper, and more pleasing in the mids than the HZ by a long shot and the pair have totally transformed the sound of this bass (Stiletto). I'm now torn between playing it tomorrow vs. my Sterling. The Sterling is a pick monster but the Stiletto is now the aggressive, burping, growl box I've been wanting when played fingerstyle. After getting a second DC I'm renaming it the SchetOr. ;)

10. I did the same setup. A Schecter Stilleto Studio-6 with a OBP-3, a DC in the bridge, and CS in the neck...except I like the Fender P-bass type sound of the CS. I usually favor the bridge pickup, but it's nice to have that other flavor.

11. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    might as well post up mine! i love it....absolute joy to play strung with dr flats...

k311mq.jpg

mac22 likes this.
  12. schecplaya08

schecplaya08

Oct 5, 2008
    I have a P1050047.jpg P1050050.jpg you couldn't tell a Diamond Series C-4 I'm having problems with my bridge, if someone could email me ([email protected]) that would be great...anyways...I LOVE the neck, I don't have the biggest hands, but on this I fly right across it!

mac22 likes this.
  13. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    what kind of problem are you having with your bridge?

14. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Okay, so I was thinking of selling my Honeyburst, when I felt like giving whoever would be the next owner, a "refresher" setup.

Well, I managed to get the neck pretty damned straight, but I was able to lower the saddles considerably without hardly any buzz. Yes, I got quite stoked.

But, one of the main reasons I was going to part with my Elite, was that she was way too "pingy" with plenty of boom. Basically it seems these basses are set up with a natural "smile" type eq sound and are way too bright without the ability to have a MID knob. I'm not a fan of 2-band eq's.

I then remembered I had a Boss GEB-7 eq pedal lying around. So, I messed around with it, bumped up the mid and upper-mids a good chunk, boosted the low-mids a little, cut the treble completely, and didn't mess with adding any extra bass. I kept my on-board BASS and TREBLE flat, then dialed in a little on the treble.

I like the added harmonics of favoring the bridge pickup, but it doesn't sound good on here, to me. This bass sounds the best with the blend right in the middle, but the harmonics get lost somewhat, so that's why I cranked the mids on the pedal.

All in all, my Elite ain't goin' nowhere! The sound is basically like mixing Geddy Lee with the muscle of David Ellefson, combined with some Stanley Clarke sparkle.

Can you say "uncle"? :D

15. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I know the stock strings on my Schecter Elite 5 are D'Addario EXP, but what gauge are they?

Anyone? My guess is .45-.105 w/ a .130, but I'm not sure.

16. the bridge pisses me off so much. my intonation is off cause those saddles keep sliding. well i just dont like the individual thing going on. im getting a bridge similar to the studio schecter off ebay.

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    interesting......i have the same bridge, and have zero problems with it.

18. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    +1 on that, I have the exact model and no problems at all.

19. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Added another Schecter.
    This ones a J/MM config CV-5 and has the Schecterback style headstock on it rather than a fender style headstock.

I immediately took out the Duncan Designed pickups in it and had Brian at low End put Kent Armstrongs in it. It had way odd sized pickups in it so the new ones had to be custom.

Still worth it.

Envious look I feel... and very versatile tone choices. The MM pickup is wires Series/Single/Parallel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. I got this on ebay and am going to put a neck on it, but I don't know which model it was. the ebayer said stiletto, but I cant find a current blue model
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021