The School Of Rock

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Saw a preview last night of this new movie starring Jack Black. It comes out October 3. All I can say is, be there! Screamingly funny. Jack Black can carry a movie all by himself, but put him in front of a rock band composed entirely of 5th graders, and.. well, anybody who's played in a band and/or likes Jack Black should really dig this movie.
  2. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, that's it - I'm there... especially since my wife teached 5th grade....

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent. I like Jack Black! I've played in bands! I'm going! (I'm serious, I really am going, it sounds hilarious.) Thnaks for the heads up Dave.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm. I haven't seen this movie, but I've always found his acting and comedic abilities to be quite limiting, uninspired, and lacking range. With Shallow Hal, I thought it was painfully obvious, in my opinion, that he couldn't carry a film. And then later, watching High Fidelity for a second time, I realized that his character that I had previous liked, I found forced, annoying, and quite simply, over the top.
  5. See, that's what I like about him! Oh well, to each his own.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im definitely going.
  7. I believe Will Ferrel could do a better job. I think he deserves a leading role.
  8. I think for this particular role, Jack Black was the right choice, but I agree with you that Will Ferrell is awesome. I just saw "Old School." I haven't laughed that hard too many times.
  9. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Did you catch Jack Black on the Conan O'Brien 10th anniversary special last night? He was hysterical!
  10. Agreed. Many comedic actors can hit you over the head, but few can pull off more subtle humour.

11. speaking of will ferrel, i saw a poster of some new movie called "the elf" (or something like that starring him, looked odd. :meh:
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dang it!

i missed it, cause of a friend's party. shoulda trned on the stoopid TV!

at any rate, i hear there really is a "school of rock" in philly. they teach kids from kindergarten to 12th grade, music skills, and they do a Zappa song for their final "recital". quite :cool: