1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The schoolbus crashed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by trog, Apr 18, 2006.

1. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Holy poo. One minute I'm looking out the window admiring some newborn lambs and remarking on the beautiful day, the next there's bodies everywhere and glass all over the place.

I don't know how on earth it happened. There was no loud bang or anything to indicate a blowout; it seems as though the driver was just going too fast and lost control.

This is a very rural area, so there were no others cars nearby. The bus careered off the road, shook around wildly and came to rest against a fence. We were worse off at the back where a number of us fell into the aisle, but one of the side windows broke and splintered over a guy's head.

What makes it worse is that not a single person on the bus was wearing a seatbelt - we never do. Hell, half of them don't even work.

I'm just got mild whiplash, but a couple of people have been taken to hospital after banging their heads, and at least one of the girls fainted. No life threatening injuries, thankfully.

Just goes to show you, anything can happen :meh:

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Glad to hear you are okay, overall.

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    we had one of them a while back. some car hit us when we were taking the turn.

we were all fine.

bus was fine.

car wasn't.

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Thank goodness you are ok, and that no one was seriously hurt!

Cherie

5. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Glad to hear you're okay.

My schoolbus doesn't have seatbelts. None of them do, actually.

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Which in a way is good, because if they'd have belts, they'd likely be lap belts (not shoulder restraints)...and frankly, with their known potential for fatal pelvic injury, lap belts are usually deadlier than no belt at all.

That big broad seat back right in front of you is actually the best thing you can hope restrains you in a crash.

7. Yeah, I've never seen a bus with seatbelts. Except, of course, on the special buses.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, that sucks, but I'm glad to hear you're okay.

I've fortunately never been in an accident (knock on wood) and hope to never be.

9. Glad to hear you're ok.
    Anything can happen. It's a reminder to live your life to the full.
    My younger kid's school bus has 3 point belts and they all wear them, but the public buses don't round here. I think that will come.

10. yeah, glad to hear you are ok, i was involved in a school bus accident, we were being sent home from school early because of the horrible snowstorm we were having (or at least going to have), and right as we got over the bridge in my town a car slid right into us...i didn't even know what was going on...but i saw the girl driving the car that hit us being pulled from her car and she was all bloody and such...it was pretty strange for an 8 year old...nothing of your calibre, but it was just what i was thinking of right now :)

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It truly is amazing the way things unfold in a day. Glad to hear you are doing ok , how are the other passengers doing ?.

12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    In my school district every bus, special needs and standard 40 footers, all have seat belts. I make sure all my kids were them.

I know about the problems with pelvic injuries but it is a necessary risk. The reason seatbelts are becoming more common on SB's is due to rollover accidents. Almost every fatality from a school bus related crash is due to rollovers.

PARENTS and STUDENTS: If you would like to read more about why we need seatbelts on a school bus please go here: http://www.ncsbs.org/ There is a powerpoint presentation and a .pdf file on this very subject at the top of the page.

OK, I'll get of my school bus driver soapbox now! :D

13. So, were you on a short bus or a twinkie?:D

Glad you're okay. Did you get out of school for the day, or did they make you go to class anyway?

Rock on
    Eric

14. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    You are wrong. Any belt is better than no belt. The last thing you want to do is to fly out of that seat. Pelvic injury is attributed to wearing the belt improperly and to horrendous forces in high speed crashes. Without a belt, your body continues on at road speed...until it hits something. Like a windshield, a dashboard, or a big seat with a metal frame. Hurtin' for certain.

15. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I'll admit it's been decades since I rode a bus to school, but back then each seat back had a metal bar mounted on it. Wouldn't want that stopping my kid's face in an accident!

16. Not anymore. They are very nicely padded. We used to have great fun throwing each other into them when the driver wasn't looking.:D

Rock on
    Eric

17. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    have a cop friend that was on a traffic stop and the arm of a school bus was still out while passing him scratching the piss out of the entire length of his squad car. Ever since we keep sending him short bus pictures and stuff...life is great

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    No. You are wrong, and I'll give you the real world incident to prove it:

Accident, all occupants (4) restrained.

Two women in their 30s, front seat passengers mid size car, collision into tree at 35 mph. Women were wearing shoulder harnesses, and sustained class one (cuts, scrapes) injuries.

Their two children seated in the back, wearing lap belts?

DEAD. Crushed pelvises.

If it's a lap belt, sit on it. If it's a shoulder harness, put it on.

19. Due to my day job, I have access to the school bus statistics.
    Extensive crash test show that laps belts in a conventional school bus virtually guarantee severe injury in a frontal collision. The seats are carefully spaced, and padded to cushion a child in the event of an impact. Install lap belts, and the child no longer hits the back of the seat in front of them flat, with their entire upper torso, but straight down with their head, and neck, ensuring a broken neck. Personally I'd rather have few bruises from a rollover( very very rare ) than a death from a head on with a truck(happens everyday)
    School buses are absolutely the safest form of transportation, over 10000% safer than your car, if you look at the number of people transported, and the miles traveled.
    By the grace of God, my fleet of school buses has not had a child, or driver killed, or even severly injured, in my 20+ years in the business. We have however, had over a dozen drivers and passengers of automobiles, killed in collisions with our buses(none at fault on our part). Don't get me wrong seat belts do save lives in cars( three point shoulder belts), I would not think of driving without mine.

John

20. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Wow.. who knew we had schoolbus drivers on TB? Kool! Who knew there were assocations of them, too?

What did the driver have to say for himself? Ive had a bunch of crazy bus drivers (driving over people's lawns to avoid intersections, knocking over mailboxes and smacking into signs) and a bunch of nice ones, too. Once when I was in the 5th grade, the driver told me to walk on one side of the street for no apparent reason. As I was walking, I heard a crash on the other side of the street, a huge tree branch just fell to the floor... right where I would have been standing.

Sorry to hear about that crash.. must have really sucked, but thank god no one got really hurt.