1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

" THE SCOOP"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno50, Mar 25, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Hello fellow bass players,
    I came across a empty JBL scoop bass bin at a pawnshop
    last weekend, I thought to myself if I could get it cheap I would try it with my bass rig, after all i have a 15" speaker laying around,I could drop her in and maybe use it.
    I remenber back in the early 70's I seen some bands at the
    fair grounds playing and using folded horn cabs. But i'am not to sure on the scoops.
    Anyway my question is , are or can scoop design cabs be used for bass guitar? are they different than folded horns?
    Is it going to sound good? are they really only good for out door gigs? Someone give me the scoop on scoops.....
    Oh Yea the guy wanted 100 bucks for the empty cab,in good shape, needed some black paint and a speaker,I may get him down a few bucks if I try. I dont think I could build it for that,counting my time and wood.
    Thanks Eno

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A scoop is a folded horn. It's also a relic, rendered obsolete by modern long excursion/high power drivers. They work well enough, but just aren't worth lugging around such a big box.

3. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
  4. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Yea that it the 4530 ,Oh yea it is heavy.
    I just thought I could use it for out doors ,we play out doors about three or four times a year at Bar-b-Q cook offs
    spring fest just little things at the local park and all they have for PA support is some mains for vocals so we have to use stage volume and this is where I thought I could use this cab along with my club rig to project.
    eno

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    personally, the JBL scoop was and is still one of my favorites. since the driver is front loaded on the top, with a D or K 140, you get a fast response and decent high end standing in front of it. and when the "scoop" unfolds, it has ALOT of low end projection too. IMO, if you don't mind lugging one, its worth the effort.

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I had a Custom Audio fabricators 2x18 Scoop in the 70s.. It was the sickest lows out of any rig that i have heard. Mine was less knocky sounding that alot of the rear folded horn type cabs that you would nornally see... Some of those W cabs were aweful...
    But the Scoop had extended roundness that was like swamp meat hugging the floor...
    It shook the fat on your body ..

I had to use a top box in a bi amp rig config since the 2x18 was huge... all powered by a Crown PSA2 and a BGW500 alembic tube pre... i forgot what electronic crossover i had back then..