1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The scroll, what is it for?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Kristian, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Kristian

Kristian

Dec 5, 2008
    Turkey
    Hi,
    I have a bass with a removable neck but the neck is longer than the body so it needs to go in a separate box for transportation. I'm trying to solve this and one of my ideas is to cut the scroll or to make it removable. I'm just worried if it can have any bad effects on the sound.
    Any ideas?
    My other idea is to make part of the fingerboard removable, but that feels more risky...

2. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    Kristian,
    the conventional scroll as we know it has likely originated from historical/cultural roots, and it's actual shape might primarily be an artistic expression. However, due to its position & weight it influences the main body resonance of the instrument, so just chopping it off may impact instrument response.

The transport issue you raise has been acknowledged by some luthiers, and solutions exist; look for instance at Patrick Charton's B21.
    tetes.
    While tuning pegs/machines are required, and their conventional place is in the pegbox, they need not necessarily be up there either, and they could be towards the tail end, or on the tailpiece. This is done on several EUBs, electric violins, ... . Of course those instruments were designed like that, while your instrument was designed to have a pegbox & scroll. Yet a removable scroll should be possible.

Intuitively I advise against a fingerboard consisting of different parts, or a removable fingerboard.

PauFerro likes this.