1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The search for my perfect string.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Disco Batman, Oct 23, 2010.

1. After having played many a different type of string over the years I'm looking for the perfect combination of traits in one string. Otherwise I am compromising something I like just to get something else I like.

So here's what I'm looking for.

1. The Sound of DR Hi-Beams

2. The Feel of DR Black Beauties (I like the smooth coated feel)

3. The Tension of DR Lo Riders

Is there a string out there that will give me all three of these things, or close to it?

2. You should really consider giving Circle K's a try. I'm gradually switching all of my basses over to their balanced tension series of strings. I was a big DR fan until I tried the Circle K's. They have turned out to be my favorite all around round wound string.

3. Have you looked at the Elixers?

4. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Elixirs fit your bill except I don't think they sound as good as the Hi-Beams. Either way, give it a shot! If they sound good to you, consider yourself set for the next 6 months because they last a real long time. :)

5. Yeah, They are Definitely not as bright as high Beams, but they do have a smooth coated feel and tension similar to low riders.
    2 out of 3 ain't bad, all strings are a compromise anyway. There is no one string that does it all. If there were, there would only be one brand of Bass strings.

6. Thanks for your guys opinions. I'm going to give Elixir's a try, and maybe a coated set of Ernie Balls as well.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Try DR neons. Much better feeling and sounding then elixers to me. They rather remind me of rotosound swing 66 but with slightly more top end and slightly better defined low end. GHS boomers are also good though their mid range and overtone content is little diff from the rotos and dr neons.

8. I'm a fan of DR's but I've played sunbeams and I'm looking for the higher tension like the lo-riders. And it seems Neons are just coated Sunbeams. The low riders would be perfect if they had the zing and growl of hi-beams.

How about Rotosound Nexus strings, I've searched and found very little about them on the forum. But they seem like they are coated Swing Bass 66's which just may be exactly what I need.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you like the tension of the lo riders and sound of hi beams, you should probably look at stainless hex core strings. I know a few other companies make them, but I can only think of Sadowsky Black Label off the top of my head.

I'm a lo rider user as well. I'm going to give hi beams a shot though...

10. I'm using Stainless Lo-Riders on my Jazz right now, but they have no bite to them. I can't get the bass to have any growl now matter how hard I attack them or even if I crank the tone. These will probably go on my Bongo once I get a new set. I have a feeling they will sound fantastic on it. But I like my Jazz to get snarly when I want it to and I'm just not able to get that right now.

I really want the coated feel though too. I went ahead and ordered a set of Roto Nexus and Swingbass 66's. I'll post my findings after I get em. I'm hoping the Nexus's end my search for the perfect string.

If they don't do it, I'll give the Elixir's a try.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Funny, they growl pretty well on my Modulus & Sadowsky.

Many people like them, but I've never had good luck with Rotos. They are a very rough feeling SS string and they don't last very long. Maybe the nexus will be better.

I also have tried Elixir and they were pretty tame sounding, but in a good way. Not much growl to my ears. They always sounded slightly dead, but they stayed that way for a long time.

12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Have you tried just using heavy Hibeams?

13. No, though the thought has crossed my mind. I don't tend to like anything higher than mediums.

14. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I used to like high tension, then for some insane reason I tried a set of extra-light (don't remember exact gauges) Hibeams. I had to adjust my technique quite a bit, plucking very softly with the tip of the finger, but I ended up liking the way the notes "spoke".

Since then I've realized that for different playing styles I like different tensions and gauges, they bring out different aspects of my playing, similar to the way different instruments do.