The search for the little bitty combo amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rkatapt, Sep 27, 2005.

1. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have the 600 watt full stack and even a small 60 watt single 12" combo. What I am looking for is a small compact less then 50 watt with either a single 8" or 10" driver. Prefereably less than $200. I am just wanting a combo I can EASILY move around 30lbs or less. I don't need massive volume out of it just enough to be audible with some acoustic guitars or just jam out at a buddies apartment.

So far I've come up with the Ashdown After Eight for $119 which so far it seems is my most logical choice, but I've never played nor seen one anyone have any expereience with this litte guy? I've also looked at the Roland Bass Cube-30 which is really small and has some nice features but it is $295. I've looked around finding other uber_small combos by Peavey, Ibanez, Drive, & Hartke. I've looked around the big named/popular companies SWR, Eden, Mesa, Ampeg and I havent seen any uber_small combos. Anyone have any recomendations on a bedside combo?
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

the Kustom KBA series is nice for the money. They use Celestion speakers and have good tone. They make em in all shapes and sizes 10 watt/ 8" , 16 watt/8", 35 watt/10", 65 watt/12", 100 watt/15". I have the 16 watt / 8" and it has great tone and is louder than you would think. Go here for specifics --> Link
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've got an SWR workingman's 10 thats pretty tiny and sounds really good. You'll be suprised I think by how much better a 100+w amp will sound even in the settings you are desribing, you'll be able to dial in some true bass instead of relying on mids.
  4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here is one of them for $146 shipped. I think it's a good deal... $146 Shipped

It's 15" x 8.5" x 13" and 35 lbs... Very portable
  5. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I forgot all about Kustom thanks :)
    I am interested in the 16w/8" it's really small and compact. I found a place locally who has them and am gonan gho try one out there only 99.99 plus tax. I think it will be audible enough for what I want it for.
    Hey thanks for the recomendation on the SWR workingman's 10, it's a great little amp but too much for I what I need it for.
    I also have a local dealer with the ashdown after eight which is jsut 20 bucks more than the the kustom. I'm gonna go give it a try as well, thanks for the help, anyone else have anything...............
  6. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you are looking for just practice and no big vilume.....
    I suggest the pignose Hog 30. Its cheap, sounds great, makes a perfect seat, runs off of battery power forever.
    It is a bit on the quiet side...but....I will trade that for complete portability any day.

7. rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Alright thanks for the help I'm still looking around. The Pignose would be nice with the batteries sitting campside or dockside. I also found the Orange Crush 20 B, I am alos gonan try out a Gorilla. Sweet now I have a line up. I am probably making too much a big deal out a small little dinky amp but, I always research as much as possibly before purchasing anything........
  8. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    A few months ago I was in the same position you were in. Where can I find in an ultra small combo amp. It needs to be lightweight and cheap and still sound halfway decent . I settled on the Ashdown After Eight and I use it exactly how you describe your needs. I use it when I'm playing along with an acoustic guitar, practicing, etc. I would never use it to gig, even in a tiny setting. The tone is okay and it suits my purposes fine. It's not perfect, but it works for me.....