1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The search for the Perfect Bridge (ETS vs ABM)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ghoulbug, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Hope you guys aren't too tired of these sort of threads.

I'm currently searching for a suitable bridge for a custom build I'm planning right now. After being interested in the Hipshot bridges on Mike Lulls, I found out about two German companies that make higher-end versions of similar bridges, ABM and ETS.

I know neither of these companies are as popular as hipshot or leo quan, but I know many TB'ers have experience with them.
    The question is, which company do you guys like better?
    Functionality isn't really an issue, since I don't really need super-tweakability, so it's all about build quality for me.

Here's some pictures:

ABM:
    2912516488_3f3edcf6ed_o.

ETS:
    2911668391_84e75d1685_o.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There is slightly more mass, and more travel with the ABM bridge - both are equally as good.

3. Ah, so I see the ABM is a bit heftier. It does seem a bit longer to me now.

This is exactly the sort of golden opinion I needed.
    Thanks! :bassist:

4. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I've had an ABM on the bass, and it was kind of a pain in to set the intonation. You have to unlatch the string, loosen a hex screw, slide the saddle very carefully, and then tighten it back. It's basically go fish. If you're willing to trade intonation for high mass, it's otherwise a great bridge...

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like the naimish bridge. It feels good under the hand and My bass sounds good with it on.

In my experience, ETS is slow in delivering.
    ABM are back but not sure how solid they are as yet.
    Lefay ( lefay.de) make a very nice bridge. Heded and headless.
    if it is commercially available I don't Know.

6. Hopefully, I'll only have to adjust intonation when I switch around strings. That sounds like a pain. :crying: Other than that, I guess the biggest difference is mass and aesthetics.

Hmm. Naimish and Lefay. Lefay's site is pretty hard to navigate, so I guess I'll leave them out for now..

How do think Naimish compares to your ETS? I'm alright with having to wait, but I think I've heard somewhere that Naimish costs a bit too much... :bag:
    EDIT: ahh nvm. Street price only $160. nice. :)

EDIT2: Wow. Richard Naimish seems to think highly of the ABM design... and just when I was leaning towards the ETS! :crying: Time for more archive digging...

7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Naimish is not cheap but it is easier to set up than the others, feels better under the hand and I prefer it allround.

8. brobot

brobot

Jun 29, 2008
    Philly
    how would one go about getting a Naimish bridge? I can barely find anything through google...

Marc61 likes this.
  9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I've heard great things about ETS bridges.

There is a guy who has a muscled gecko on his avatar...forgot his username, he has experience with ETS.

10. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    oh damn, this thread is old. I believe that naimish isnt made anymore.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'm guess that if you contact rick naimish , you could still get one.
    He Has a myspace and he's on talkbass. although I've not bumped into him here for a while.

The lefay site "hard to navigate" ???
    It is lefay.de we are talking about, yes?
    :)

One good thing about the naimish bridge I got on my bass is that it's light.
    To me light bridges sound considerably better than heavy ones.

12. Hmm, well I'm probably gonna go for the ETS. :smug:
    Still, I'm gonna try to contact mr. Naimish before I make the purchase. It's good to know that I have all my options open.
    The last I heard about him was when pete skjold said he lost contact with Naimish.... :confused:

P.s.
    Muscled gecko? :( Maybe he can help me navigate the Lefay site.
    [​IMG]

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I too can help you navigating the lefay site.
    The headless bridge is the first thing you see when going there.
    I do not know however if they are commercially available yet or just installed on lefay basses.
    I do know that anything lefay makes is good, as he's a real perfectionist.
    Naimish's myspace is www.myspace.com/naimishbridge.

14. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    I have been in contact off and on with Richard and you may be able to reach him through his myspace page .

I have used all these bridges ( except le fay which I think ETS makes for them ?? )

The Naimish bridges I have used were of the highest quality , one reason they are the price they are . He may not be producing at the moment so that might not work , but that would be my first choice for my own bass . The ETS stuff is great too but can take awhile to get . The ABM stuff is more mass produced so they are easier to get from places like ALL-parts . For the money Hipshot makes the best value to quality bridge and that is why they make my custom bridges . Just my opinions if they help .

Pete

15. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Yep,

The ABMs are used on Sandberg Basses (under the Sandberg label).
    They are a PITA to adjust!
    This is a cr** thing to do in a studio situation!

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ETS does not make lefay bridges as far as I know . They make them themselves. At least that was so when I last spoke with Reiner.
    Magnus Krempel has a bridge too. Here a link to a bass equipped with it...http://www.magnusguitars.de/sharkey VII.htm

17. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Ahh , yes these are definately newer and different than the ones I was speaking of . If you look at the pictures for the Limited Edition bass you'll see the ETS bridge , They may not use it at all anymore , I don't know .

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Ahh I see what you mean!
    I believe they( or ABM) did make or do make a customized bridge for lefay. Although I have the feeling that it was ABM.
    When saying "lefay bridge " I was referring to that which they have just introduced forgetting to mention that which they have used before and up until the point at which they introduced their own.
    My mistake!!!

19. Wow, this thread has grown.
    And Pete Skjold himself has spoken!
    Thanks, that helped a bunch.

Could you elaborate on what you liked about the Naimish, exactly?
    Was it the ease of use, functionality, improvement in tone, or just clean cuts and general craftsmanship?

I sent an email to both ABM and ETS asking about dimensions, and while ABM sent a very thoughtful and helpful reply, ETS sent a copy-paste answer saying I should ask a distributor if I need to ask about prices. :rolleyes:
    Not very impressive, ETS.
    I also came upon a thread here with two people saying their ETS saddles weren't cut cleanly.

Thanks for the offer, cnltb, but I think I'll leave out Lefay for now. I'm in a big enough quandary as it is!

20. What you expect, they if they dont sell direct, why quote you incorrect pricing.