1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Search for the Perfect tone.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ayliffe, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Much like the quest for the holy grail.. except this one is way cooler :p

alright.

My band goes into studio next week. We are an Avantgarde, Ambient, Black Metal band.

In studio, the producer has told us we arent using amps, but pods. i later found out, i dont get a pod! i just use my bass into a DI.

So, i need a tone that will cut through the guitars, i dont want one of these bassy, flat unheard tones. I want something with Crunch, and a bit of twang.

I play a Warwick Thumb bolt-on with 2 band active eq.

In term of technique, i play mostly slap and fingers, but i do the occasional flamenco, and multistring tapping.

PLEASE HELP ME!!:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    Use the bass you play.

3. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    im planning on it... but i can get alot of different tones with it..

and i was hoping someone could tell me how to get the tone im looking for i.e. cut the bass, add treble etc.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Anything you could do EQ-wise can be done to the track later by the engineer.

5. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    oh really?

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Yes. And even before recording, if he's a good sound engineer, he should tell you "boost the lows" or "scoop the mids" etc.

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    alright thanks guys. i didn't know that. that makes it a bit easier.

9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Is it your first recording session ? If so, don't panic, this is cooler than what you may fear ;)

10. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    yea its my bands first, along with my first. i'm very excited to do it, as we have put a lot of work into these songs, and i cant wait to hear how they sound when we are finished. we've done the orchestral stuff already using a program called Cuebass, and it sounds fantastic. so im really anxious to get in there and do it.

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    You meant, Cubase ?

If so, you could have saved some studio time recording your bass lines with it. The good side of this is when you are not used to studio work, it may be easier to record at your own rhythm in a place you are familiar with. But if you all rehearsed much and feel ready, everything should be quite OK.

Just one thing NOT to forget when the session is done : put your music on MySpace and give us the link, so that we can hear your recording.

12. Mnemo

Mnemo

Apr 20, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    The best way to get good tone will be to listen to your direct sound in the control booth and in the headphones when you are playing. It may help to solo the bass during playback, early on when getting sounds, and listen for any problems like buzz, pitch, etc.

If you make any adjustments to your bass tone controls, they should probably be small adjustments. Often an engineer will want you to just put all controls on flat with full volume.

Most important factor in controlling your tone will be your playing technique. Bass is often recorded direct and the tone can be adjusted later if necessary to fit the tracks.

Good luck!

13. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    In studio, the producer has told us we arent using amps, but pods. i later found out, i dont get a pod! i just use my bass into a DI.

Do you mean the engineer? Or are you going in with a producer?

14. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Before you pay the guy, have him do a pod trial to see if you guys like the sound or not.

Personally I think pods suck but they are better in recording than live but still ... its not the same.

15. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    oh i bet most will hate it :p

16. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe he is doing both. but im not exactly sure.

17. The bass you have can more than do what you need. I've done a lot of studio work on both sides of the board. Your bass can be made to sit perfectly in the mix. With even the most modest DAW the tone of your bass can be shaped in ways you've never dreamed of.

18. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    DAW?

19. Digital Audio Workstation, aka any "digital recorder in a small box" or Pro Tools-esque non-tape recording medium.

IMO, it's you're money that you're spending on this recording, and the Producer/Engineer should be listening to *your* desires and not vice versa. I've personally recorded direct to the board and had great tones at the end result, but take 1/2-to-1 hour to try and see what kind of tone you can get from a Pod verses direct.

You can always record two tracks, one POD and one Direct and combine them at mixdown to get the best of both worlds.

20. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    My only concern with the POD situation is the live performance situation (unless you have no plans to perform live). Many people achieve great studio sounds but when it comes to live settings they are crap. Try the best you can from your touch and the on-board eq going DI to the board. After that try to expand with anything outboard (or shape things with the help of the sound engineer)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021