1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The search for the right distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Alright, so I've decided that the empty block on my board should probably be a distortion.

What I'm looking for is a sharp, clear, hi-gain distortion similar to the GT-2 and TRI-AC. But without the bass loss or the hugeness of the AC. I already have a Tonebender so the gain can't be too high.

If it helps any, the british/California modes on the Sansamp AC are what I'm talking about.

I've been eyeing the mojohand Mule pedal but it's not very flexible it seems.

2. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    I'm using an xotic BB preamp that I am really happy with, great smooth distortion and no loss of bass.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Notice the word SHARP :p But i'll check it out anyways

4. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    Sharp - MXR Blowtorch.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Nahhh, not a fan of that pedal. Keep throwing them out there :]

the BB doesn't sound too bad, i'll have to find some more clips.

6. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    I too am in the same predicament. I have this distortion tone in my head that I just can't seem to find. I really like the sound of my Ibanez PD7 for distortion, but want something a bit more roadworthy.

I have a gt2 coming off of the bay and possibly a turbo rat and guv'nor 2.

I am really looking for a deep heavy grind/distortion in between the overdrive of my Bass drive and the fuzz of either a LBM of tonebender.

7. MickMichaels

MickMichaels

Jan 16, 2008
    Marshall Bluesbreaker 2

It's a cheap guitar pedal but sounds awsome with a blender.

Attached Files:

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah i saw the BoR review, good distortion. Do you think you can get a sharper gain outa that?

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Wait until next week when i get my Big muff Pi kit in, i'm transforming it into a Tonebender and i will do a A/B with my real jumbo tonebender.

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    MXR distortion 3?

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Well, to be honest I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll try to answer your question. For those clips I'm using a passive Jazz Bass through an Ampeg head into a 1x15" cab. My rig basically has no high end. Through a different rig, you're going to get what I would call a lot sharper sound. Moreover I have the tone on the pedal set at below 12 o'clock. You could brighten it up if you wanted to.

Also, what Rats have you tried?

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Interesting. Well I havent tried Rats but i hear they allll lose low end.

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

couldn't find any bass clips, got any?

15. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The Rat 2 is terrible with the bottom, but in my experience with it and with my gear the Turbo Rat is great with the bottom end. You really ought to give the Turbo Rat a whirl and find out for yourself because I really think it's the sound you're looking for. It's got a lot of bite.

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Hm listened to your clips. Bass is still there, but can the distortion be more focuses and sharpened? Perhaps it is your setup though... Is there anything else similar to the turbo rat?

17. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  18. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    Have you worked a lot with the GT2? I just got mine and I totally dig it. The "Tweed" setting loses almost no bottom end unless you "hot-wire" and you can crank the bass to actually boost bottom end.

So far, I really like the california setting, in the high gain position, with bass boosting and treble boosting a bit, and a bit more than medium gain. Really negligible bass loss in my experience with a ton of versatility.

I have not heard clips or seen videos of the GT2 that actually do it justice.

If you look over at the JMJ thread too, he raves about his gt2. Lots of different options from slightly distorting bass to crazy feedback noise generator.

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah but to be honest, i'm trying to sway away from a JC board... It's already a JCfanboy board but it's slowly becoming my own :]

I believe i want to try out this BYOC Mouse.. It has the Turbo Rat distortion and many more.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I am also on a quest for a sharp, gritty distortion. Here's my long list of possibilities (not all fit the description) - Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition, Pro Co Turbo RAT, Tech 21 SansamGT2, Landmine LD-1, Radial Tonebone Hot British, Marshall Guv’nor, Gallien-Krueger Diesel Dawg, Boss HM-2, 3Xfx Fatman/V2, MI Audio Crunch Box, Boss MD-2, T-Rex Bass Juice, Crowther Hot Cake, Z. Vex Box of Rock, Fulltone GT-500, Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion, Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass, Pigtronix OFO Disnortion, HomeBrew Big D, HomeBrew FMJ, TC Electronic Vintage Bass Distortion, Ibanez PD-7, Radial Tonebone Classic - I have been interested in the tonebones lately, especially the hot british.