Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Severing Process

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 25, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, you guys remember the "Gah! Writer's block!" thread? Well, here's the results of the somwhat completed song. It's no longer called Asshat, it's now The Severing Process .

This song was kind of written as a response to a challenge/request by Hateater to write a song in A minor, in 13/8, and at 80 BPM. This is what I came up with. It's a bit more "industrial" sounding than I would like, but I guess when it's just you and computer it's somewhat inevitable if you like to experiment with sound. It's also sort of incomplete, as my computer couldn't handle the amount of tracks I was throwing at it, so I had to rely on more MIDI than I would have liked. Damn computers.

So anyway, there's the song. I hope you like it, Hateater.

2. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Good stuff.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think this is fairly radio friendly ben, except for parts of the beginning, and the whole ending bit, but for the most part, it's sellable, it's not like they play the whole thing on the radio anyway :p

great stuff though.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    This better be good, I stopped listening to my Dub side of the moon for this...

*listens*

Cool stuff. :p

5. pretty sweet stuff... do you have any cds out yet? you should throw everything you've recorded and send it to me.

Charlie

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Nope, no plans for a CD as yet. Believe it or not, I'm trying to use these songs to form a band. No luck on that front, though. :bawl:

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool BStrange. I agree, more industrial, but you were under constraints. I like to vocals in this one.

8. rats....well if i was in california, i'd join your band....
    too bad i'm in wisconsin.. :scowl:

Charlie

9. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Two thumbs (and one big toe) up :D Very cool. All the instruments, besides guitar and bass, done in reason?

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes. There would have been more real instruments, but my computer kept jacking up. :mad: I was forced to make do with what it could handle. Ugh. Thus the overly industrial sounding stuff. I'm trying to get more of a Ministry/Fear Factory/Cure/King Crimson vibe going on here, but it's a bit tought with just little old me. I'm still a beginner at the recording process, so hopefully I will improve with time and a better computer.

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I thought the other instruments sounded great. The only reason I made mention of the other instruments was because you had said you used Reason in another thread. The other things sounded great. I wouldn't have guess soft synth if you hadn't already said something.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's funny that everyone on talkbass seems willing to join your band, but no one is in your area. :p

On my 56k connection at home I got your (huge assed) song downloaded to 90% then my g/f had to use the phone.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Once again, I must restate that anyone should be instantly flattered if anyone downloads their anything on a 56k connection!

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I wouldn't mind having a band or a g/f. Both seem like they might be a pretty cool thing to have.

15. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Nah, they're both over-rated.

16. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
  17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not yet.

18. i'd play with him, but he doesn't like banjo.... freak.

19. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    That wouldn't be a bad idea- making a challenge thread that is.

Anyone up for some 5/4 g min @100 bpm?