The Sex Pistols

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Jun 27, 2001.

1. What do you all think of the Sex Pistols? Theyve got some good songs. I think the whole Nevermind the Bollocks album is pretty good. Sure, they self destructed and the bassplayer didnt play, but still...The guitar work is pretty decent. Simple, but good. I like the Sex Pistols. Anyone else?

Oh, and Im proud to say I can play every song on Nevermind the Bollocks. :D
  2. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yes, I'm rather fond of the Sex Pistols, as well. I like Stepping Stone, My Way, and Noone Is Innocent. Good stuff. ;)
  3. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    i am also proud to say i can play every song the sex pistols ever made, my faves r Belsen Was A Gas and Satallite.

Sid ruled
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Sid Vicious was preceeded by Glen Matlock. However there were rumours that the playing on Never mind.... was done by session musicians. However Malcolm Mclaren(sp) was/is such a good spin doctor that truth/fiction are one and the same. NB I am not calling him a liar but a very clever marketing person The contraversy surrounding Sex Pistols, Vivian Westwood's designs and sexual orientation were all part of the package

BTW I like 'Anarchy in the UK' the song that is.
  5. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    Yeah, some of the bass tracks were already done by Matlock, these being:

Anarchy in the uk
    God Save The Queen
    No Feelings
    Pretty Vacant (the song he made himself)

These were on the first few singles

Even though he was given writing credit on Holidays in the Sun and Bodies, it was most definetly Steve Jones.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had the dubious privilege of seeing Glen Matlock live in a band formed after the Sex Pistols, with Midge Ure - I thik they were called "Rich Kids"? But they were truly awful and one of the worst bands I've ever seen live!
  7. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    didn't glen matlock team up with iggy pop to make his album Soldier or was it Party?

Did you see the reunion in 96, it was awful, the promo video for Pretty Vacant was the worst
  8. I've never understood the fascination with the Sex Pistols.

I grew up in the UK during the Punk era and was well into the Clash etc... But I always thought the pistols were devoid of any talent.

Some of their songs are now cited as classics and it still amazes me.
  9. Youre absolutely correct, and that is why their heroes. I also heard that they had the loudest speakers, so they were the most popular, but that still doesnt make sense to me. The guy who said that has no credability at all, so disregard it :D
  10. NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    The Sex pistols (and I am a fan), are popular for one reason, attitude. Personally I love God Save the Queen, and am a huge John Lydon fan (him and Jello from DK epitomize what punk is all about). But the pistols sucked as musicians. Anyone, especially fans, will tell you this. Johnny's lyrics, and attitude spawned punk rock as it is... well not as it is today, but at least up until about 7 or 8 years ago. Forget Sid, he was a poser and a junky who, more often than not didn't even stay on stage for the gig (when he was in the band at all). Also, keep in mind that Bullocks is the ONLY sex pistols album. Anything else you see was put together by their manager after they broke up. If you want punk rock with talented musicians, listen to the talking heads or Elvis Costello (early stuff for both), otherwise take the pistols and other punk of the day at what it was meant to be, rebellion against the conformist society of the 70's and early 80's. Its a shame punk turned into blink 182 and the like (I still weep at the remembrance of the downward spiral of Offspring), because it is still applicable. Ok this turned into something it wasn't supposed to be so I am just going to end it here.
    I like the pistols, not for their music, but for their spirit.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

This is the sort of thing I was trying to say in various threads about punk around here; but got "verbal abuse" in return.

Punk is about attitude and not caring about musicianship - so somebody talking about the best punk bass player or bassline is missing the point big time.:rolleyes:

Punk is a reaction against musicianship and an assertion that attitude is all you need - i.e that technique/skill/whatever is irrelevant as long as you have something to say!

The Sex Pistols characterised this and were the epitome of Punk - but this, by definition, includes the fact that they couldn't play - the perfect punk band!!
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Exactly ,I joined a band first and learnt to play afterwards.

The Punk ethic (musically) was to kick against bands like Pink Floyd and Yes etc who made sprawling epics with 10 minute guitar solo's (which I like to listen to sometimes). Elvis Costello was more New Wave along with the Jam and others.

Popular music needs a kick in the bum/butt every ten years (swing/rock and roll/beat/prog/punk/rap/???) and I prefer any of that lot to boy/girl bands anyway I digress.

Back on topic(nearly)-can these modern punk bands be called punk when they have signature guitars and boutique amplifiers?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Well that's what I was saying - US posters keep going on about "punk", but I just don't see it as punk - more like energetic but "comfortable" music.

Punk is about rebellion and making music out of attitude and energy - not about musicianship.
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    We are dangerously near agreeing here. I think we should let the US posters think they know what punk is and not tell them about the Stranglers, Siouxie, Sham 69 and any other band of varying quality from that era.
  15. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    THEY ROCK. im 15 and i was born way after they ruled but they kick ass. if you dont like their music think of the bands they influenced, the most major being every punk and ska band ever. Even though sid was labelled insane and there is stories of him not even playing just being onstage and having a bass on his neck, they still are kings of music.
    ps. punk is not a fashion, you cant aquire it or find it or grow into it, you are or you arent. Your either with us or against us. thats what punk means "us against them" us being the punks and them being people who dont like us.
  16. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    well, Sid having a bass on his neck but not playing is kind of a forgery and markeing decision of getting a guy which will entertain people but not really play.
    for me thats kind of beats the punk agenda of "be real" which means the punk was a gimic even in the days of the Pistols which opted to mock the musicians of the prog rock movement but was actually a joke by itself because it wasn't real.
    just look at malcolm mcclaren's biography...the guy did everything he did out of financial considerations, the pistols to promote his sex botique, then he became a mainstream pop star, then he started a euro-dance band when those generes earned popularity.

maybe when Lydon said: "ever felt like you are being cheated" he was reffering to himself being cheated by the whole punk idea because I think he really was a true punk (it's hard to find something/someone he doesn't hate) who was led to belive what he was doing with the pistols was genuine but found out it was just another trend.
  17. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am american and think you're 100% correct.

Real punk died and everything that it being put out now is merely a cheap imitation.
  18. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    It might have died and I dont play punk in any form (any more) but I have benefited from it as someone who started playing bass with no (initial) aptitude for it, but with a "I can do this" attitude.

My band could play "frigging in the rigging" at the next church social...perhaps not.
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Same thing happened to me - in '74, I was a kid staring at Chris Squire in awe, but by 76/77 punk had galvanised me into believing that it could be on the stage rather than just looking! ;)

Oh and I gave away all my Yes, Floyd, Genesis etc. albums - bought a few back on CD!
  20. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    As a Led Zep/Deep PurpleDr Feelgood/Sex Pistol fan (strange mix I know) it was hearing a Yes gig on the 'Friday Rock Show' that got me interested in bass.