1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Shape of Water (2017 movie)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, May 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Just caught up with this after the Oscar®️ hoopla. This won Best Picture? Seriously? It’s beautifully filmed but otherwise ridiculous and very unpleasant at times. I don’t mean ridiculous because of Aquaman either.

No like much. Two out of five stars, only for cinematography and music score.

2. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I liked The Shape of Water... didn't love it... and I'm big fans of Michael Shannon and Guillermo Del Toro. But hey -- I give it points for being original and unique on a number of levels.

Unfortunate that we only get a few Oscar-worthy movies each year with the rest of the calendar filled up with comic book flicks, Furiously Fast films and Dwayne Johnson putting steaks in the freezer.

Outside of award season, the drama is nearly dead... and that's pretty dang sad.

OldDog52 likes this.
  3. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri last week. It was also full of “unpleasantness” but I liked it a LOT. Very good.

mnats, mellowinman and Bipslapper like this.
  4. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Most oscar movies are weak and treacherous acts of artsy fartsy vs substance. That birdman thing comes to mind. Ick.

OldDog52 likes this.
  5. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I honestly think there was a better PG-13 or even PG movie edited out of Water. Michael Shannon is very good at this type of character but it’s basically a repeat of his role in Boardwalk Empire.

6. The film was ok, but I'd pick Wind River for last year's winner. That one had me on the edge of my seat!

jerry, OldDog52, gungrog and 2 others like this.
  7. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Added to my queue. Thanks for the tip.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Only The Brave is a great flick... fantastic cast too.

Hostiles was a decent watch... gorgeous scenery.

Of the Oscar flicks, The Florida Project was the surprising one for me... I dug that one.

9. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Shape of Water is a Guillermo del Toro movie. “Beautifully filmed but unpleasant” and “artsy fartsy” in spades; that describes all his films. So next time, don’t be surprised.

I like directors like del Toro. They’re reliable, so you can avoid them if you like. I love his style and I don’t find his films “ridiculous,” but they’re not for everyone.

10. Is he the one responsible for that film with the hitman traipsing around Europe ordering two espressos in two cups, getting a coded message from the next weirdo for where to travel next for his two espressos?

11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    That's Jim Jarmusch... film is The Limits of Control.

The Limits of Control - Wikipedia

I need to give that one another watch.

12. How ranks the ''art substitutes for any semblance of plot'' factor?

13. I'm with you all the way on this one. It tried to work on one too many levels, and failed in doing so.

And I'm sorry, bestiality is bestiality, I don't care how you pimp it. An intelligent magical fish god is still a fish in my book. Yep, I am officially old-fashioned.

My wife liked it though, smh.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Shape of Water has a good plot. But the plot takes a back seat to a lot of unnecessary and out of place characterization.

15. It's not without redeeming qualities. I like the alternate universe feel and the more charming aspects. But the weak foreign espionage and inter-species elements really tarnished any redeeming value or metaphor/allegory for me.

OldDog52 likes this.
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For some reason, I never was able to summon any interest in The Shape of Water. Dunno why.

17. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My problem with TSoW might come down to it basically being a fantasy flic for women.

It’s not the movie — It’s me. ;)

18. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I thought it was good but not "best picture" good. I felt the overall theme (and especially Strickland and his villainy, but I prefer villains to be somewhat empathetic a la Captain Vidal from Pan's Labyrinth's) was insanely heavy handed and almost patronizing. Like my brother said, it's a fairy tale and supposed to be heavy handed, to which I argued that if del Toro wanted to make an "adult fairy tale" he should tell the story to adults, not children who need everything overtly in-your-face.

IMO Get Out or Three Billboards should have won.

OldDog52 likes this.
  19. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He was the best part of the movie. His character was interesting, anyway. But that guy is always entertaining.

20. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Did you watch Pottersville? Michael Shannon is great in that too. But I'm generally a fan of "straight man in a world gone mad" archetypes.
    I really dig del Toro myself. He does tell fairy tales but that's what I enjoy about his approach. He seems to have a very classic approach to storytelling and plot that doesn't rely on huge twists and flashy camera tricks.
    He also seems to be willing to risk turning people off to do things his way somewhat like Tim Burton. Seems to get his point of view across better as a result.
    Shape of Water is a quirky movie telling a weird story. I dig it but I enjoy exposure to new things and ideas.