Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Shen is in!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chasarms, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  2. Chas;

Nice Bass!:)

I enjoyed your review. A question if I may, is the neck on the Shen, thicker than an ES9 but thinner than a Strunal? Is that what I understood? Also, Is the length between the nut and the heel the same on the Shen as on the ES9?

Thanks

Keith

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Beautiful! Congratulations . . .

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Charles, glad to see you finally got the Shen and are happy with it. It's gorgeous!

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Thanks Mike. I think I will have a more defined opinion once I get comfortable with playing it. BTW, both myself and the other bass player are loving the Strunal. Our music minister couldn't be more happy.

As for the neck on the Shen, yes, I would say that the Shen neck is somewhere between an Engelhardt and a Strunal as far as feel. It it as thick back to front as a Strunal but a little more rounded, less square for lack of a better descriptor.

I don't think the neck on the Shen is any longer than an Engelhardt, I just think the neck angle is more parallel to the table. It doesn't slant back as much as an Engelhardt, so it looks longer viewed from the front.

6. Michael Nickerson

Michael Nickerson

Apr 24, 2003
    Maine
    That's a beautiful looking bass, Charles. I also liked your review. I recently bought a Christopher hybrid after playing a Kay for awhile, and you sound as happy with your Shen as I am with my Chrissy. I'm curious as to how a Shen and Christopher compare in sound. Did you have a chance to try any Christophers in your travels. If so, what did you think? By no means am I wanting to give up my Chrissy, but I'm just curious. Meanwhile, ENJOY!!

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I may have played a Christopher in some of the shops unknowingly. Many of the shops around here buy from various wholesalers and label basses simply as "Chinese student bass" or "German student bass." The older Shen that I played (a 150 I think) that sort of set my mind on a Shen was billed like that. Only after the fact did the guy at the shop tell me it was a Sam Shen.

I did attend an event last year where a guy was playing a Christopher, a 303 I think. He sounded great on it.

This may be out of sorts for some here, but in comparing basses I think I lean more on feel and playability than anything and construction quality runs second. I personally think the sound will come over time as the bass opens up and you get better aquainted with it. I have taken the same approach with acoustic guitars over the last 15 years with good results.

I knew Shens were built well, had a feel I liked and was certain that Nick could make one play right, so I gave him a call.

I don't think I am experienced enough with basses to compare the sound of two of similar quality without a direct A/B test.

You are more than welcome to bring your bass over and we could do it though. I'll make some soup and bake some bread.

Chas

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hey, congrats! There's a chance I may be joining the club before too long, so I'll be looking for updates. Having a new bass is almost like being in a new relationship - as long as you choose well, it's a beautiful thing. :)

9. Congratulations Charles, it's a really nice color...shows the figure in the wood real nice.
    What's your string length?

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    41.25"

11. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Madison, wi
    I just noticed that classic contrabass near chicago has an SB180 with bag click here

12. Michael Nickerson

Michael Nickerson

Apr 24, 2003
    Maine
    Don't be surprised if I take you up on your soup/bread invitation. Not that I'm in St. Louis much, but I'll bring the wine. The same holds true if you're ever headed to Maine (brrrrr).

13. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Hey---nice lookin' bass. I may be looking for a Shen hybrid soon too as a replacement for my plywood. Havn't had the chance to play one yet though. Does your bass have a D or Eb neck? Thanks,
    -Del

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I would say it is a D neck.

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yummy. Nice flame.