1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The shielding ain't working for me...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sonofabass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    Help?

I've followed all of the posts to a "t" - I think

Copper foiled myself and my bass to deat - you should see my fingers - that crap is SHARP! lol

Set up - Audere JZ3, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz. Pickup cavities are shielded, cavity is shielded, bridge etc.

What could I be doing wrong? does wire gauge (the one coming from the bridge) make much of a difference?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Wire gauge makes no difference unless you're using something finer than a human hair.

So what problem are you having?

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know all of the specifics for a JZ3, but if you haven't already, I'd wire all grounds to the input jack.

4. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    hey guys - thanks for the responses. I think I may have found out something I'm doing worn...something dumb. I think I need to complete the ground by actually attching a wiring for the copper shielding to the jack. DUH - I'm an idiot...

5. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    nope, that ain't it.... there's a hum until I touch the strings or bridge. can't seem to find the issue

6. When you shielded the pickup cavities, did you also shield the pickups (wrapped the coils in foil) , solder a wire onto this foil, and run a wire from the pickup foil to the ground?

7. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    On every bass I've had with the "hum goes away when I touch a metal piece" there has been a grounding issue.

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    When I had a Jazz bass with the Audere pre, I never got rid of the hum after shielding, either. I decided to go a different route and took all the electronics out of that bass, but if I were you I would contact Audere because there is something special about the ground connections with these preamps. Audere is a very customer service oriented company, and I know they'll be able to help you out. :)

9. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    now that I didn't do - route was too small for a copper "tunnel" perhaps I could have wrapped the pickup leads in copper and tried to run them through?

10. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Is it only this bass that your getting the hum through?

11. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    yessir

12. I never did this shielding my Jazz and it's fine. All I did was shield the cavities (making sure the shield makes electrical contact with the control plate) and ran a wire connecting the pickup cavity shields to the control shield.

13. FenderAmpeg

FenderAmpeg

Feb 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Have you checked the grounding in the house/apartment?
    I've had the hum until you touch and the "pop" when you touch. Both were traced to the house grounding.

14. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    That's why I asked him if it happens with any other basses. I was thinking it might be this too. But if it's only with this bass and not any others, that pretty much narrows it down to being the bass itself.

15. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Commercial User

May 14, 2008
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Owner, Gries Amplification
    Is it a low hum or more of a high-pitched buzz?

16. sonofabass

sonofabass

Feb 10, 2006
    California
    hey all - first off thanks for all of the input - and sorry for my delayed thanks.

things have gotten "better" - I rewired the pickups to parallel as an experiment and started getting a low hum. Honestly, it's quiter - alot quiter now but I think some of what's happening is, in fact , the wiring in the crib