Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Shootout That No One Asked For

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mike_v_s, May 12, 2005.

1. That's right, ladies and gentleman, prepare to be dazzled!

SWR Workingman's 2X12 vs Accugroove MiniWhappo!! (note: if you don't want to read the whole thing, just skip to the bottom and read the bold type).

This is a pointless comparison for a number of reasons. Here are a few:
    1) Both cabinets are now out-of-production and have been replaced by models that share little with their predecessors.

The current 2X12 offered by SWR has zero relation to the model I own. The enclosure is different, the drivers are different (Celestian vs SWR Custom) and the crappy tweeter has been chucked in the new model. These pop up on ebay every so often.

The MiniWhappo was replaced by the Tri210. I'd be remiss if I pretended to know what is shared between the two...but I assume it ain't much. One is a 4 way, the other is a 3 way with neo drivers. I've only seen one of these, and I bought it.

2) Speaker configuration is completely different.

The SWR is a 2X12 + tweeter

The Accugroove is a 10, 8, 6 + 2 tweeters

3) Your average person in the market for one of these cabinets is almost assuredly not looking at the other.

The SWR sells for around $250-300. It is more of a budget-minded cabinet. Your average buyer is probably looking to sound decent and is banking on the name to deliver.

The Accugroove sells for about $800. The people that buy these have probably already owned numerous cabinets in the lower price ranges and are a bit more finicky. The previous statement does not apply to me.

4) The impedence on these cabinets is different.

5) I have only played the AccuGroove at lower volumes so that my daughters can hear when they get older. The SWR has been run full out since 1996.

6) I am not Tombowlus.

7) I am running these cabinets with my tried, true, and severely underpowered SWR Workingman's 160.

Through the 8 ohm SWR, it delivers a puny 120 watts.

Through the 4 ohm AccuGroove, it delivers...(are you ready?)...the full skull-crushing power of 160 watts!!!!

Now for a few reasons this should be posted.

1) I own both of them.

2) They are my only two cabinets at the moment.

3) Believe it or not, I payed about the same for them.

SWR: $485 after tax in 1996 at GC North Houston

AccuGroove: After some selective trading of some equipment I've owned for a while, and adding up the total paid for that equipment and recent shipping costs (but with inflation not factored)...$450. (I actually traded a Stingray 5 for it through Low down sound).

Now the "shootout" (with a G&L Tribute L2000)

Everything you've read about Accugroove cabinets has been true. My first reaction was to how smooth the higher notes sounded. I normally have the tweeter off on the SWR because it sucks. Even with it off, the highs sounded thin and yet sharp when compared to the Mini. The difference in the midrange was apparent, as well. The Accugroove's were more clear and defined (as will happen with 8's and 6's). Played back to back, the SWR's mids sounded a bit muddy.

Where I had expected to hear a marked difference was the low end. I've never seen SWR's frequency response for the 2X12, and kind of assumed that might be a bad sign. The Accugroove's lower rolloff is about 36 Hz. At lower volumes, the low end response was similar. The Accugroove was, no doubt, clearer, but there was not the night/day difference that was present in the other frequency ranges. A higher volume comparison ought to reveal a bit more....but it won't be as fun to type now that I've done all this.

bottom line: for my money, I could not be more pleased that the Accugroove sounds better.

Mike

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    6) I am not Tombowlus

thats funny.
    good review by the way.
    you said you got the swr in north houston? where might i ask.

3. Guitar Center on 45....a few exits past "Gunspoint" Mall, if I remember correctly.

Mike

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Interesting... In a way.

I should do this with my SWR 210 + 15 setup versus the Mesa 1516 (15 + 10 + 2x6).

Give you a hint... using a Warwick amp, SWR's win.

5. Hmm, how long ago was that? What color was that SR5?

Randy

6. Bought a 1978 Ricenbacker 4001 from a coworker who was unaware of the value in 1995. Traded the Ric to a TBer for a trans-teal SR5. Decided the 5er wasn't my taste. Saw an ad on bassgear from LDS looking for a StingRay or Fender to trade for the Mini. Figured what the hell. all of this explanation takes away from the tongue-in-cheek nature of my review.

Mike

7. Oh, ok. I picked up a dark red SR5 at LDS lately, wondered if that was the bass.

Still a small world scenario though. I played in Slidell, LA years ago, the hotel bar that used to be called the Nicklodean by the Union 76 truck stop, off the main highway going into New Orleans.

That's where I saved Chubby Checker's life. His bus came through the truck stop, I went over there, told him not to eat the cheeseburgers. There you go. :D

Randy

8. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    The biggest difference is the power handling (600 vs. 250), which equals more volume & much more bass! Plus, there's the 8/4 Ohm AccuSwitch for flexibility. Speaker wise, the 8" was replaced with another 10", so it is almost the same cabinet driver wise.

It’s kind of like a Mini on steroids.

Mark
    AccuGroove Music Systems

9. Thanks for adding a little credibility to my rambling. I love the cabinet, by the way. I'm still looking for a suitable head.

Mike

10. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    No rambling at all Mike, great questions & observations! Thanks for investing in our cab!

FYI: Here's what the newer Tri 210L looks like.

Mark
    AccuGroovy Baby
    [​IMG]