The show must go on...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tnavis, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    So I had a show Friday night, the standard multi-band, move gear on stage as fast possible, play the set, move gear off stage as fast as possible dance that I've been doing since I was 15 years old.

I play in a progressive metal band that uses a fair amount of samples and has keys on a few sections that the drummer handles. For whatever reason, there was a MASSIVE ground hum from those channels during line check. Never had that issue before in our shows, even at the same venue. Worked with FOH to swap channels, try different cabling..... nothing. No samples or keys to monitors or mains without massive hum, so we split the difference and FOH took them as loud as possible without the hum overpowering everything else. So we fought through it, and then halfway through the 40 minute set, the keys/samples cut out completely, and there was just a steady, present hum. I'm not entirely sure what happened, and we'll check the drummers gear at our next rehearsal to see if something odd was going on that we can replicate and resolve, but that was not a fun gig.

2. How did you send the samples to the FOH? DI boxes? Were they battery powered or phantom powered? Was the ground switch engaged on the box?

Just some things to maybe check...

BnB

MynameisMe likes this.
  3. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Passive DI (relatively certain). They tried engaging and disengaging the ground switch with no change. We're gonna try and come up with a backup solution for next time.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. Gotcha. Maybe buy one of those small two channel mixers and use the aux out or something.

BnB

Tnavis likes this.
  5. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's a good thought. We'll give that a shot.

6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Might have had the system powered on 2 or more separate circuits that didn't have a good common ground between them? Difference in ground potential between 2 different circuits will hum every time.

BassCliff and bound'n'blocked like this.
  7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    my thoughts as well

8. AKthunderFUNK

AKthunderFUNK

Feb 14, 2010
    Thunderfunk
    As an electrician I've found alotta bars have crappy wiring, gotta deal with a power conditioner to be true.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021