The show was going well,and then the power went off......

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike N, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I was asked to play a show last friday for my friends band,since their Bass player couldnt make it.I had gigged with these guys in the past,and I knew the material,so I figured we were good to go.So here we are playing through the first set,the sound is good,the crowd is good,the Beer is good,and then......snap.....the lights/sound go dead.The only light in the house is the neons in the front window.Luckily it only took the staff about 5 minutes to fix the problem(but 5 minutes seemed like an eternity).Anyway,the rest of the show went off without a problem,but Id like to pose a question to all-When the power went out we were halfway thru a song.When the power was restored,we picked the song back up roughly at the point it had been interrupted.I was wondering what everyone else would do-would you start the song over,pick it back up like we did,or go on to the next song on the list?If it makes a difference,we were playing popular cover tunes,no originals.
  2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Oh dear, don't drink beer on stage. That means you aren't a serious musician :)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since it was 5 minutes and the audience was most likely not standing around speechless, waiting for the next note, I'd start a new song and get back to the interrupted song later.

Sounds like the branch panel of the distribution panel you were on was connected to the ice machines/refrigeration/air conditioning. Not a pretty picture.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

-I would go on to the next tune, then play the interrupted song near the end at the most appropriate spot.
  5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    The Roof, The Roof, The Roof is on FIRE!!! We don't need no water...

You can milk that for about 10 minutes while you decide to retreat to the bar.
  6. I'd go to the next song unless you weren't too far into the song.
  7. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    It happened last night... The place we were playing at had a dicey power supply and we tripped it when the vocalist had his acoustic guitar out. He just kept on singing and playing for the time it took to get the power back on.

Got a good round of applause after that !
  8. Same thing happened to a band I was in in the early 80's, as it happens the gig wasn't going to well at the time but when the power was put back we played Dancing In The Dark and totally stormed the place, guess they liked the irony..

9. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    this happened to me in a cover/original band i was in just last summer. we were playing a battle of the bands and of the four bands playing, only us and another were worthy of competition. it just so happens that the other band was pretty much running the show, (or their people anyways) so we figured it would be rigged. in our second song(Rush's Tom Saywer), the power goes out, we start from the beginning since all we got was the intro. Then it goes out right at the beginning of the solo section which really pissed us off, we took it from there when power was "restored". Finally, at the end of APC's Judith, it goes out again. At that point we played the last tune and got the hell outta there. They got first place, our singer made a scene and a half, and the band never played a single note after that. the lead guitarist and the drummer, whom i brought into the band about 3 months before this and have known for about 5-6yrs, put together our own band and other projects.
  10. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I wish I could say it was pure genius(which is what I told my girlfriend) but , as the band leader I had hired TWO drummers for a job and when the power failed we quickly organized a "signature drum beat"
    medley complete with improv that kept the dance floor full and went until power was restored, about 15 minutes. Whew!!
  11. On friday night i saw a friends band play their last show for a year. About halfway through there was a tremoundous banging coming through the PA, louder than if u plug your guitar in with the volume all the way up.

Next thing the guitarist stops playing and kicks his effects rack, taps the power suply cable and the vocals and guitars just died. Everytime they would tap the power supply power pack it would thump to life then thump dead. The remaining guitarist, bassist and drummers just started a new song that everyone knew. In the end a mate of ours ran out to get his gear (his band played first) and they rigged up new equipment.

God i wouldn't know what to do, a packed bar just looking at you to do something.. be like turning up to work in nothing but boxer shorts or PJ's.

12. I did a gig a couple of years back. The bartenders hated me because I was shaking the glasses off the shelf, the sound guy was great but he also did the lights and we were getting the blame for blowing the circuts. We started to play Radar Love about three times and 1/2 way through the intro the breakers would pop. We ended up playing another song and things were fine. It ended up that when the light guy was flashing the lights alot to keep up with the changes at the intro to Radar Love it would blow a breaker. We played the song after out break and after telling him not to touch the lights. Things went well after that.
  13. only had it to happen twice lucky I play an ovation i just played a solo till the power came on