Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Silhouette Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I was wondering why we always discuss MM stingrays, or bongos or subs and such, but have never reallty got on the Silhouette Bass subject.

So, If we could kinda gather some info or pics thatd be great, it'd be like The Bongo thread...only about the Silhouette!

Thanks guys

~JB~

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, because it's not a bass, but a baritone guitar in the first place ;)

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Actualyl its not man. I was actual corrected for saying that yesterday. Since baritones are tuned B-B (right??) and this one is tuned E-E...Its a bass.lol

4. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I'm not sure why the Silhouette does not get more run. It is most likely due to the fact that they are not as present in the market. Most bass players seem to try a MM at some point--usually a Stingray, SR5, or Sterling. There are probably not that many Silhouttes out there, yet they have been a part of EB's line for as long as I have been playing.

Anyone out there have one of these? I've always been curious...

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I don't care. Call it whatever you want, still, it's not really a bass.
    It has what, 28" scale IIRC?
    also, it's string spacing is that of guitars.
    It's tuned as guitars, as well.

there were some others like this in the late 60s and in the 70s, like the Fender VI.

Maybe the best term would be "guitbass", though the POTUSA meant it a bit different

6. Have fun playing that "bass" fingerstyle :confused:

I'd call it a baritone guitar.

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Agreed. Not a bass.

Just like an 11 string bass is not a guitar (even though it occupies parts of the same register)

Just because a guitar is tuned an octave down doesn't make it a bass.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Guys all I can say to that is: A bass is a bass is a bass.
    Whether it has 6 strings, 9 strings or even 2 strings.
    So Frank, I sence your one of those people who are against custom coklin 7 stringers and such? Look guys, its a bass, deal with it. I know theres always gonna be people who dis it but think about it...its a bass...it has the same 4 strigns as a abass and then just has two more strigns going higher. This bass is the kind of bass that can put guitarists in its place, so you shouldnt be questioning it, you should love it! lol. Also in regards to the whole "have fun playing that thing fingerstyle" or w/e you said...two words GENE SIMMONS. He played a 4 stringer and played with a pick, so big deal. besides you can play it like a classical guitar couldnt you? I remember a man by the name of Jack Semple had a guitar clinic here and he used to put acrylic on his fingers and play his electric like a classical and he'd play anything from Slowhands stuff to Tonny Iommis stuff to.

So there you have it, My huge speech wich started with one thing and ended totally off topic :p

Bear with me guys, im standing up for everyone who has a bass wich isnt exactly the norm.

~JB~

9. I understand that, it was just my opinion. I think that if it's a bass you should be able to play it fingerstyle whether its your preference or not, but once again it's just my opinion.

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

Felt like adding to this... if a bass with 11 strings isnt a guitar even tho it goes in its register, then consider this: Why are you saying less string is less of a bass? you have no doubt that an 11 string bass is a bass, but a 6 string bass (a lil more then half of the 11) is questioned??? If anything the 6 string should be considered more of a bass (which it isn't i dont think the number of strings should determine whether its a bass or not) because its way further away to the guitars register, wouldnt you say?

~JB~

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

What? I didn't see him making that argument at all. He said that just because an instrument shared a register with another, didn't mean that they were one in the same. I saw nothing implying that he thought fewer strings=less bass.

Either way, Silhouettes, I think, occupy that shadowy no-mans land of baritone guitars. You can call it a bass if you like, but I still think of it as a guitar.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I was saying you guys asociate less strings less bass in a way because you guys have no doubt that an 11 string is a bass, but that you guys question a 6 string bass.. :eyebrow: its interesting how this works isnt it?

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I feel it's up to the guys who patented the "guitar/bass" to decide what it's called. They call it bass, I call it bass!

I think it's a little misunderstanding going on here. What is it that defines a bass? is it the scale length?? no! is it the number of strings? definately no! is it the low register?? I would say so! About the scale lenght: is a double bass more of a bass then a short scal Stanley Clarke Alembic??? I don't think so. We have established the multi-string issue before. So I would like to see someone question my low-register theory:D

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    THANK YOU!

Like my only support here!

Ok you know what lets just stop the arguing, wether you consider ti a bari or a bass thats not the point of this thread!

So does anyone have any info on this bass/bari??

Any reviews on it?

thanks
    ~JB~

15. hey bass_drum, i agree with you too...i consider it a bass as well, as it does play notes in the same register as a four string bass...i consider it just as much as an erb as other six string basses.
    i do agree with tyler, though, i haven't played the silhouette, but i have played the fender baritone jag, which is fender's upgraded fender bass VI, which i love. the jag is a little more difficult to play fingerstyle than a bass or classical guitar, as it has a narrower string spacing. but its not impossible. i can play fingerstyle on the jag just fine, you just need to think a little harder, so you don't hit the wrong one, and the learning curve would be like trying to play a fanned fret bass. it takes a little readjustment, but you can do it just as well after a little practice. after enough practice (only at the guitar store) i can even slap a bit on the jag too.

i know i am talking about the baritone jag, but i find the two very similar. from what i heard, mm made the silhouette to have a bass VI type instrument. i think they sound pretty good. The only problem is, unless you have a definate use for them, they can become just a novelty, and a lot of people only keep them for a year or so.
    i like them though

16. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

What about piccolo basses? :eek: :eek: :eyebrow: :p

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I find those comments really bizarre.

The Silhouette is 29 5/8" so a bit longer than the average baritone guitar, but only fractionally shorter than a Fender Bass VI, which has been discussed here before, as have similar instruments like the Schecter Hellcat VI. There are lots of short scale basses that have also been discussed here that are 30" (<1.5% difference) or so, but because they have 4 strings, I presume they're still considered a bass. The Silhouette is still tuned in the same primary range as a bass, using similar guage strings to a 6 string bass (tuned up from E), so if I had one and set it up with only the low 4 strings is it now suddenly a bass?. Six string basses in 34 and 35" are commonplace now, many tuned the same.

Then you have ERFSI's, which many here insist on calling a bass (personally I'm not sure what to call them), even though some have as many as 3x the number of strings as "most" basses and a much larger range than "most" basses. There are even enforced prohibitions here on what you can say about these instruments.

So if an 11 or 12 string bass is still considered a bass, then so should the Silhouette as 6 of the strings would have the same/similar tunings, the only difference I can see being scale length and string spacing, which are highly preferential anyway.

18. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Quit being a clown. A tuba occupies a lot of the same space that a bass guitar does. Is it a bass guitar as well? Baritone guitars are just that, Guitars with an expanded low register. Bass guitars are different because of their tonal characterisics not because of their range.

Here's my baritone. It's a 29.858" scale, it's tuned from low A (3rd string on a 4 string bass) to an octave above that (so standard guitar tuning down a 5th). It uses strings gauged .015 - .056. It sounds like a really low guitar. It doesn't sound anything like a bass. Its' pickups are voiced to sound like a guitar not a bass. When I play it in a live situation I act as the guitar player not as the bass player.

The silhouette is not a bass guitar. It is a baritone guitar. It could have 3 strings or 15 strings, it doesn't matter. The tonal characteristics of the insrument are what defines it.
    [​IMG]

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    NO! The tonality of the instrument is what classifies it. If you have a 12 string guitar and capo it off at the 12th fret does that make it a mandolin? It shares the range of the mandolin so why not?

The biggest difference between baritone guitars and basses is string tension/gauge. Baritone guitars play like guitars not basses. Play one and then tell me otherwise.

20. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    ok guys thanks for the info...and for quallobone...it is called the Silhouette bass guitar. I think that really is the bottom line, the instrument is what its creators made it to be. That may kinda not make sence but like mentioned earlier its those who created the bass that should whether its a bass or not. Well MusicMan call it the Silhouette bass guitar, so is it not a bass guitar?

~JB~