Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the simplest possible rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Dec 4, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi folks, here's my new live rig: a Stewart World 2.1 amp (2100 watts RMS, 2 rack spaces, 17 pounds), and a Rane PE-15 parametric EQ with an additional 40 dB of gain. That's it. No further bells and whistles. Well, except the speakers (a pair of BagEnd S-15's). It's the world's simplest and most compact rig (with the possible exception of a Walter Woods), the whole thing fits into a 4 space SKB case, and the best thing is, it's light enough to carry! Beats the hell out of carrying around a big ol' tube amp (or even a Carvin). :)

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    My simple rig is a G/K 700RB and one or two Avatar CB112s. Light and powerful. :)

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have an SWR SM-500. It seems as though *I* have a more compact rig than you! ;)

4. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, that's not the simplest possible rig!

2 seperate rack units in a rack case are far less simple than just a head!

(but at least you admitted the WW option)

:rolleyes:

- Cowboy

5. I think the dude that played a SansAmp BDDI into powered PA speakers has you beat. A pocket-sized preamp and no power amps to lug around.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I stretch a length of string between my bass and a coffee can.

7. The gig I'm playing this weekend I'll playing through the rig of the Headlining bassist therefore no rig just the bass.

8. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    J4ZZ 4D!

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tech Soundsystems Black Cat (2 rack-spaces, 6.5 kg and 1000W @ 8 ohm bridged or 2x500W @4 ohm) and any decent 2x10.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've plugged my J Retro equipped bass directly into the board once. Does that count as the simplest yet?

11. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Would a combo amp be simple?

12. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, that's the concept. I guess I'm kinda lining up with the folks that use a SABDDI and a power amp. One thing is, I require high power, so a combo amp is out (never seen a kilowatt combo amp:), and besides I like my modular portable BagEnd speakers, I can use one or two or eight of them as the need arises). Second, I want my stuff to be protected in some kind of a case, and 4 spaces is pretty minimal, it's small enough to carry as long as you don't cram too much weight in there. The EQ, power amp, and a Furman PL-plus all fit into 4 spaces, so there's only one cable to connect to the wall and one cable to connect to the speaker. It's very much like having a Walter Woods except with the parametric you get a little more tonal flexibility. And with the SKB case you're protected from the elements (although not from beer spills:)). I'm gonna give it a road test over the next couple of weeks, we'll see what happens.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's not hard to beat some of the newer carvins. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Some of the older carvin heads like the Pro bass 300 were pretty nice (I almost actually bought one). But the newer ones are pretty disappointing. :(

14. Here's my compact monster-

[​IMG]

Top left-right-down:
    Alesis Nano-Compressor, Shure ULX/S Digital Wireless, Peavey Max Bass Pre-Amp, Korg DTR1000 Tuner, Peavey DPC1400X Digital Power Amplifier.

The whole deal weighs just under 40lbs and sits on top of a 4 ohm Acme Low B-4 (which weighs just 78lbs). It's the COMPACT MONSTER RIG OF DEATH!!!:D

15. Walter Woods is my most compact. I have a small SKB mixer case for my small mixer that I now transport my WWU, DI, cords etc. in. The Woods fits perfectly in the case and it's so light and well protected. NO Muss NO fuss.

16. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    40 lbs?
    78 lbs?

OUCH!

:spit:

- Cowboy

17. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Small rig: GK1001RB-II plus Bergantino HT-112

Big rig: Focusrite Platinum TrakMaster plus Stewart World 1.2 in three-space rack bag plus Epifani T-112.

Optional: add 1x12 cabs as necessary, stir gently.

18. capalito

capalito ----

Dec 27, 2002
    Hey nonsqtr,
    I own a Roscoe Lg3005 that has an 18v built in preamp. I ma looking for an amp for my Epifani T112 8 ohm cab.
    I need a set up that is as small as possible. I play mostly jazz and light funk. I am thinking about buying a stewart 1.2 and use it bridged into my epifani 112. Do I really need a preamp with this bass? I don't really like tubes. I basically like a fat warm solid state sound.
    thanks

19. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi capalito, do you really need a preamp with that rig? Maybe not. The Roscoe's are hot enough so you might be able to go straight into the power amp. You'll have to try it and see.

20. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Isn't that you that bought a WW Ultra on eBay a couple of weeks ago?