Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Simpsons" On strike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 2, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4645435/

Interesting. I guess the voice actors for the Simpsons are refusing to work unless they get paid more.

IMO, this is just another sign that the show should have ended already. I can't even watch it. The last couple of seasons certainly aren't deserving of a pay increase for anybody, though I suppose that's mostly the writer's fault, not the talent.

Still, $300k per episode? Give me a break.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Until recently I worked with a guy who's brother writes for the Simpsons (one of the original writers still with them) That guy says his brother has told him that they are in their last season. Anybody else heard this rumor?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, that's certainly one way to spin it to make the actors look like the bad guys. :rolleyes:

So, what do you think is a fair wage for the voice talent?

They have been working without a contract all season long. Personally, I think if Ray Romano, the cast of Friends, and Kelsey Grammar are worth $1million an episode that the character actors for the longest running animated series in prime time, and Fox's anchor show deserve 1/3rd of that. You do realize just how much money they've made for Fox, right? Easily over $1 billion and there is merchandising and syndication rights, etc, etc, etc...

I say good for them. Rupert Murdoch should be shot, but that's a subject for another thread. :ninja:

4. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    The voice actors on The Simpsons do about a days work per episode. While actors on non-animated shows will due closer to a full week's work, what with memorizing lines, doing extra takes because someone messed up, and getting make-up and wardrobe done. That said, I still really enjoy the Simpsons and think they're just as funny (if not funnier) than the old ones.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How long they work isn't the point.

If the show is making truck loads of money for the network then the actors should get compensated for it.

Hell you could probably triple their salary and the show would still be profitable.

6. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I completely agree. Their success should be reflected by their paychecks. I was just trying to point out a fact people might not be aware of.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    See, "spinning it" would probably mean that I was trying to voice my opinion in a backhanded way, as if in some devious attempt I was trying to _imply_ what I felt.

First I mentioned what happened, then I gave my opinion.

I think the whole situation is ridiculous. I hope that was plain enough.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    See, that's what gets my goat. Baseball strike, hockey strike, voice acting strike- people who get paid ludicrous amounts of money for UNIMPORTANT (there I said it) things always want MORE MONEY. Nationally, globally, whatever, we have our priorities way out of whack.

But you know what? I'm not going to rant about it. My beef with this topic goes beyond the scope of a few voice actors. So I'll let it be, without drawing this into some longer argument. Feel free to PM me, whoever wants to discuss. :D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Wait... people still care about Baseball? I thought they stopped after Mark Maguire hit all those home runs? :confused:

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    All in demand... people get paid how much people think they are worth... Simpson's get ratings... if ratings are good yes they should get more money... writes and actors (or voice-givers, they are still actors though) of ratings aren't so good... they won't get raise... its simple...

Of course Fox haven't been so smart... canceling family guy and all... but look... family guys sold a lot of DVD's so it's coming back to FOX...

If Simpson's still get the ratings... they should get raised if they are not getting good ratings then Simpson's no more... its simple...

Btw family guy was probably canceled because potheads watch that toon:p and we all know what they are like "oh no its 5am... I missed family guy again.... it was at 8pm... damn:/"

But ya people:] remember your econ class... supply and demand curve:] this is easily sold:] if they worth the raise then they get it... if not they wont

that's my opinion anyways... not much to argue about:] either they get it or they won't:]

Also!

Ya, ok… I agree with you in general. A lot of them are not that good to watch and shouldn't get money they are getting… maybe slightly less:] mil per day is a bit too much even if it is hard work:p BUT!
    I mean you can argue that TV, music, books and sports is not important jobs... but they are... its relaxing... people pay for it... means they need it/want it... person who works 10 hours a day... comes home and wants to relax... he cant go out and have fun because next day he needs to work again... so what does he do to relax and take it easy... watches TV... has a laugh or not… considering how some shows are out there… ***... go on TB... listen to music... watch sports watch baseball (NOT A SPORT, see below :p ) amd YES, Play bass... mmmmmmmmm bass:] of course, ya... maybe they should do some hobies instead of watching tv... maybe hang out with their kids... since um... not many parents do... but thats besides the point

Entertainment is very importance thing... now oprah and them all are overpaid brainwashing aholes... I think that's correct for those worthless people... but that's just me... some of you... I wont point fingers might like em... more power to you...

But for many people watching TV is way to relax after hard days work... Reading is same thing...

I agree going out with friends is way better… but sometimes you don’t feel like getting out… too tired… you know…

In the end, for some it is pointless... i dont watch much on tv myself, family guy... once in a great while simpsons.... SNL isnt that good anymore... Maybe cheers and mash when i am um... you know... insane daily show and south park.... sometimes something else...

AND DAMN IT PEOPLE BASEBALL IS NOT A SPORT!!!! Its major league activity

Now want to speak worthless... COPS... overpaid car towing worthless good for nothing but mess with you sad excuse for human "fill in the blanks" (I know... not all... i got a friend who is sheriff so dont bitch... but cmon... how many nice cops have you met...)

and on that happy note...

Cheers fellas:]

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So did they get their pay rise?

12. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Pfeh. The last couple of seasons have been godawful. I hope that they're all fired.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    And thats the voice actors fault?

14. I think we should make our own Talkbass cartoon

there would be lots of good music for sure

edit: I seemed to have forgotten a few letters in there

15. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Nah, I just think that it's time we all moved on.

16. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'd be pretty dissapointed if The Simpsons got canceled. But I could care less about baseball, football, etc. If they're striking for anything over a million, whatever happened "the love of the game?" If you love the game so much, you'll play it for free jack***. Basketball, football, football, hockey, soccer players and all other jocks can become parapalegeics (sp?) for all I care. No offense meant to parapalegics.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    They should strike for good writers.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Entertainers get paid what we're willing to pay for them...
    (yes, athletes are entertainers, too)

20. I say give them the money, most people in the entertainment industry make tons of money doing what they do. The Simpsons is the longest running cartoon and has been running longer than most sitcoms last. Like actors/actresses in any show they are irreplacable if you want to keep the same fans. What would it be like if Homer didn't have the same yell or "D'uh". It would be weird and make you think about how the voice is so wrong for Homer and you wouldn't even think about the episode for half of it I bet. Example: My friend and I got the Family Guy DVDs and watching the first season when Meg wasn't done by Mila Kunis (I think that is her name) I was like "Hey that doesn't sound like Meg..." I can't tell you which episode it was just that I didn't think it sounded right. You still need the writers to make the show, what would Family Guy be without random insane events?, but they could be replace if there was new ones that wrote similar things, but voices have to be exactly the same or people wont like the change at all.
    In conclusion: I think that the voice actors of the Simpsons should get the money they ask for. Other Entertainers get paid rediculous amounts, some for doing what they love (ie athletes and...I don't know how 'bout...Musicians) And they are the main part of the show the other factors, such as story, are very important but changable.