1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the "singer & the band" dilemma, how to prevent it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by The Risky, Sep 27, 2013.

1. The Risky

The Risky

Jul 9, 2013
    Thats how the title goes.
    With our band everything is going smoothly, but recently we got a gig invite for an acoustic set and the band name was changed from "the band" to "the singer and the band".no one wants this, even the singer doesnt want to perform like this and we've talked about this before that this band isn't going to turn into one of those sorta bands but apparently everyone is looking it that way and the instrumental part band is left on a second picture witch no body wants.
    So my question to you guys is.how to prevent theese sort of problems.how do we make it clear that it isnt that sort of a band?

2. valus

valus

Sep 12, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Was changed by whom?

3. TommyD69

TommyD69 Semper Gumby

Sep 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Nip it in the bud... contact whom ever started the unwanted name change and FIX it... Get rid of any pictures you mentioned....

If they would have spelled your band name wrong or got the name completely wrong you'd fix it right? So fix this.... it's (all) your band.... take control of the situation.

4. Just don't allow that to happen. Always, only book under the band name and if someone advertises, or prints it wrong, make them change it - insist!!!

TIP: Get a Band Banner. ;)

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Who changed the name if nobody in the band wants the name changed? Sounds pretty easy to just change it back, no?

6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Good advice. Also protect the band name via copy right and register as a business with the county.

And in todays world I would bet an interweb page wouldn't be out of order.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I was part of a band named after the singer / song writer once. It never really bothered me much (Yes the singer / songwriter was a douche) but the guitar players brother thought it was the douchiest thing ever!

When Bob and I quit that band to form our wildly successful cover project, his brother was giving us a rash of **** one night and said "What are you going to call the new band? The Bob ******* Band?"

I turned to Bob's brother Bryan and said: "Nope. We're going to call it the Bryan ******* Band, and we're going to SUCK!"

Yeah, well, it was funny at the time.

8. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Maybe the singer actually does want that, but isn’t admitting it to you at the moment.

9. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    :)

10. Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

Apr 17, 2013
    Leaning towards this... I've seen some typos before, but that radical of a band change name (unless said singer is already a big name in their own right with their own draw) just sounds off... Either way, correct it and nip it in the bud.

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That seems more likely than anything else.

And then, after that gig, it becomes, "Well, everybody knows us as So&So and the Whatevers now, so we might as well keep that name."

12. Yep

+1. ^^^ Most likely this.

13. Sometimes it is not the singer.

I play a lot of gigs with a drummer and he often pushes the 'singer+band' angle, even though he is the band leader and gig-getter. His strategy is that he rotates between 4 or more singers, each time booking and promoting a "new band", but he gets, plays and gets paid, for every gig. I get most of those gigs too, but each singer only gets 1 out of 4 gigs.

Having said that, I'm not at all a fan of 'singer+band' formula, unless the singer is really writing most of the material, booking the gigs, leading the band, paying out money. Then fine, but if that is not so then forget it. Nip this in the bud and go by the band name.

14. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Singer and the band just sounds lame. It's just so lame. Laaaaame.

Singer may secretly desire this. Honestly, who cares what the band name is? I always thought of it as something necessary to play and that's it.

15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You mean the venue changed your band name?

How about not doing the gig unless the band name is restored?

16. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    To me depends on where you are with the music thing. Personally play for fun, alot, and only reason I cared was to build Band name branding and equity

But if it was 30 years ago I would probably care. Guess it depends on what you're looking to get out of playing. I just want to play live and ignore my age

17. JakeF

JakeF

Apr 3, 2012
    Learn to sing. BOOM! Fixed.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah none of this matters until you tell us WHO changed the name. The venue? Your manager? Your agent? The guy who mops the floor at the bar? Who?

If it was the venue, just tell them not to do it again and move on. No biggie.

19. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    record "music from the big pink"
    problem solved

20. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    It would be fun to tell them an ultimatum: it has to be "The Band". If it's going to be "The Singer & The Band" then it must be "The Singer & The Band Featuring The Risky"...