Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Single Greatest Experience of my Life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzbo, Sep 15, 2000.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I play electric bass. I enjoy it very very much. I love jazz. I like music. I like bass. I've been very happy with it for as long as I've played it.

I've done many wonderful things in my life. I've seen the sunrise and set against the Mississippi River. I've seen the Sistine Chapel and the Grand Canal of Venice. I've known the love of a woman like no other I will ever know. I've climbed Half Dome at Yosemite in the dead of winter....

THE SINGLE GREATEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE WAS PLAYING AN UPRIGHT BASS!!!

I mean this as seriously as I can say it. Two weeks ago I got to really sit down and play a double bass for an extended period of time. My left hand cramped and curled underneath itself from the pain, I created new blisters under my other blisters and callouses. The intonation was horrible and my speed and dexterity nothing like on electric. And.... it was the greatest single experience of my life

My new life goal is the purchase and practicing of the upright bass. I now know why I was put onto this Earth!!!

Thank you.

2. ...And there is no escape!Taste the pain!AAAHHHH...:)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My experience just really seemed like something worth sharing! What better place than a "room" full of bassists!?

4. I know the feeling. I've played electric from 1965 (garage rock and Led Zepp/Creedence blues) until 1970 when I went acoustic on guitar and left bass behind. Then in 1982 I had a hand accident and lost part of my left index finger. To ease the loss I bought an Engelhardt S-1 and started to just play (learning again with 3.5 fingers and a thumb) - not anything specific but like teaching myself to talk on it. I have loved the thump and the fretless slide and all the beautiful patterns of speech that can be pulled or plucked from it. Haven't tried the bow yet. I also have a Swingmaster and an Eko fretless nylon string acoustic bass. I am now - after almost 20 years - learning to sight read, learn my scales ( i used to play trumpet so at least I know music) and figure out all the terms I don't know. I still have my electrics and like them. Upright is my favorite - a good jazz walking bass line or an improv always sends me.

5. Wait untill the groove is realy great, this may be the ultimate experience. If this could happen every song you play you might die of extasy.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I think I might die of ecstasy. It really was that amazing playing an upright. I had dabbled before a little here and there, but I'm realizing more and more how it is really the instrument for me.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Smith,
    I noticed you have a Carvin PB200-15 like I do. I was wondering how your experiences are with it. I'm not completely satisfied. Check out my post in AMPS [BG] about overdriving it.