The Singularity

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Viviuos, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Has anybody looked into this at all? For me, I think I have found what my life will be devoted to from now on. Dont get me wrong I still love bass and everything else that was important to me before but this is something that I will support until I die; which if The Singularity happens could be quite a long time.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Looks interesting, but my attention span is not long enough today to read it all.

Anyone have a capsulized version, a summary? Maybe a paragraph or two for us attention deficient folks? :D

3. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That's all great and good. But the real savior of humanity lies within the ocean.. in sea shells. How do they get so shiny? How can I get my hair to be that shiny? If only there was some way to harness the power of the ocean for my own personal needs... I can do it, but I need many small donations to make it happen. Save future generations from the pain of dull and lifeless hair! Donate today.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree, let's have the:
  5. Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo... I love the stuff...
  6. Superior Intellect Breeds Superior Ambition!

Dosen't anyone pay attention in Star Trek class!
  7. i don't get are becoming a smarter-than-human cyborg?
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Or working on a really good drum machine?
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ya know, apart from some physics problems, one of the big theories about why we havent heard from anybody else is that once a species gets too intelligent, they kill themselves off. Study of animal species shows a definite correlation between intelligence and aggression. Chimps are notoriously nasty, and recent observations have shown dolphins engaging in killing porpoises seeminly for sport, and engaging in infanticide.
  10. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Cliff Notes

Singularity: The Singularity is the technological creation of smarter-than-human intelligence. Human intelligence is the foundation of human technology; all technology is ultimately the product of intelligence. If technology can turn around and enhance intelligence, this closes the loop, creating a positive feedback effect. Smarter minds will be more effective at building still smarter minds. This loop appears most clearly in the example of an Artificial Intelligence improving its own source code.

Human neurons operate by sending electrochemical signals that propagate at a top speed of 150 meters per second along the fastest neurons. By comparison, speeds in modern computer chips are currently at around 2GHz - a ten millionfold difference - at which rate a subjective year would pass in 31 physical seconds. At this rate the entire subjective timespan from Socrates in ancient Greece to modern-day humanity would pass in under twenty-two hours.

But the real heart of the Singularity is the idea of better intelligence or smarter minds. Humans are not just bigger chimps; we are better chimps. This is the hardest part of the Singularity to discuss

All of this has been copied from the

My opinion: I would not go so far as to say cyborg yet, that may follow, Bioaugmentation will happen ultimately happen. The main purpose of The Singularity is to speed things up, we will get to other levels eventually but with the Singularity we will get there much faster. Maybe in your lifetime
  11. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Its still long but its way shorter then the website.
  12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I know what you're thinking, Viviuos. Aligning yourself with the machines does not mean that they will spare you when they rise up. By aiding them you are only hastening your own demise, and those of your brethren.
  13. I think in theory this could work.

"In theory, Communism works, In Theory!!"
  14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hmmm to rage with the machine or rage against the machine.....

Picture for no reason:
  15. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska

Please be sarcastic, if not then I fear that you have already been corrupted by Hollywood. Hollywood is for enjoyment not for believing in what they make. (I, Robot sucked. Instead of looking at the situation from a logical point of view and going in with keyboards; they decide to be idiots and go in with guns) Sorry to rant but, it bugs me that people think all machines and AI are inherently destructive and want to control people.
  16. how do you know hollywood is gonna be wrong about this one vivuous.

They got Titanic right!

And besides, everyone knows that when Morgan Freeman is elected President of the United States a mega asteroid is comming to kill us all.

17. Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    Take away the inherent flaws of humans and Communism would be a great way to live. I am not advocating communism and I am not a communist but I do believe in having an open mind to almost any walk of life.
  18. can't argue with ya there mate.

The way of life on Star Trek is basically a derivative of communism!
  19. Dude, you have to capitolize Communist, or otherwise you're talking about hippies who live in communes (and survive on dog food) :D

If Steven Hawking (cyborg God of the universe) doesn't support this organization, they're probably just after your money (obviously), but I bet they send you a nice email that says something like, "thank you for your contribution, it will start to pay off in the next thouand years or so.....we will keep you updated."
  20. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Well thats my daily dose of sensationalist bull**** done with until tomorrow.

For those of you who have a scientific interest in AI / robotics, without this lurid melodramatic bent, I'd really really reccomend this book :