The Skunk Stripe That Ate Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Is it just me or does it bug you when someone calls the rosewood truss rod inlay on the back of the neck a "Skunk Stripe"??? I keep seeing this on eBay..It's usaully some dip that thinks his bass or guitar is special because it has this Skunk Stripe feature.. Oh! and um the first time I really ever heard this turm was at this lame ass guitar shop in Cincinnati... This crazy salesman kept going about how these Skunk Stripes make your bass sound better......Yep! I got out of there real fast...
    Never been back to Cincinnati either........
  2. Sorry FDb, you must have hit a unique shop. I've lived in the Cincy area on and off for 40+ years and I don't think I have ever heard the expression "skunk stripe" used to refer to a bass.

I'll bet there are some "lame ass guitar shop" in socal as well.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Skunk Stripe is a common term describing the backs of Fender necks that use this 'feature'. It is used on all maple necks as a way to insert the truss rod from behind. The hole is then filled with a piece of wood, though I am not sure that it is rosewood.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I doubt it improves the sound (perhaps the opposite is closer to the truth). Also, I have seen quite a number of Fenders where the skunk strip was pushed outwards by the truss-rod.
  5. What part of So Cal do you live in FDB?

Ya ya I know, off topic....
  6. Yea, I've been wondering the same thing, I can almost smell a socal gathering brewing...
  7. The "Skunk stripe" is not used on all maple necks. My MIA Fender P-bass does not have one. (Maple neck/Maple board). I don't know about the sound. But currently all of the american series fenders don't have them.

8. My maple neck fender has a "skunk stripe"

It is used to insert the truss rod as my bass's fretboard and neck are one (no seperate fretboard)

otherwise the truss rod would be inserted on top of the neck and the fretboard put on top of that.

Some basses that have a seperate fretbord still have "skunk stripes" this is purely for the look and no real purpose.
  9. Maybe during NAMM season? I know Steve Barr usually holds a little shin dig, but I was too shy to attend last January.:oops:
  10. Guys, it REALLY bugs me when you call it a "Skunk Stripe", isn't there another word for it. I know what it's there for:rolleyes: Fretless5 I went College at UC. and the guitar shop was out in the burbs somewhere..??? SkyLine chilly 3 ways Rule!!! Spankbass,at Lawrence Welk...he, he, he, just kidding. No really I live in the Vista, Bonsall area. You know I could raise Llamas out here if I wanted too?..Some dude had a Hippo down the road from me.
  11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my fender bass doesn't have one. and it is a maple fingerboard.

12. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Not really, no. That's pretty much what everyone calls it.