The Slap Bass Program melted my brain.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by FatFunker, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Well this video is all I have been hearing about as far as slap instruction go, So I finally got it last night. Up untill I actually put the tape in the VCR I would have considered myself a good slapper then I see Mr. Sklarevsky ripping out triple plucks and machine gun triplets, My head almost blew up.

Any way's needless to say but I am far from being a "good slapper", has anyone else experienced this video and how were your results after following this video for a few months? Anyways I guess I just need some incoragement, because after watching Lord Alexis I feel like I should just put the bass down forever. Thanks fellow funkers:D
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ha Ha!!! :D :D I, too, had myself and, apparently, a lot of others fooled. Well, not fooled. Like you probably were, I was adequate - what you generally see in a club or at a Guitar Center :rolleyes: .

But, Sklarevski's video showed me there's a whole vocabulary of slapping techniques. And I really appreciate the way he just gives you the elements you need to vamp, instead laying fixed patterns on's the hammer, nails, and boards - you figure out how to build the house.

The only disappointments, I remember, (it's been a while), were;

- the video should start with a discussion of having your set-up right for slapping. You could maim your slapping hand doing some of his stuff if the bass is set up poorly.

- also at the beginning, more than just a sentence or two on letting your muscles relax and proper wrist motion. I know the viewer can model Alex's hand/wrist, but I think it needs to be emphasized for beginners. Instead, he gets into actual slapping very quickly.

- no in-depth discussion on the importance of compression and EQ'ing. A beginner with only the bass wide open on his amp or really cheap pickups could go nuts trying to duplicate his note definition if their tone is mud.

- maybe it's just the Jeff Berlin influence, but I don't get or need the metronome for slapping. Maybe I just can't remember way back to when the pulse was a problem.

Those minor points aside, it makes me laugh use some of the stuff he demonstrates in a music store and see all these heads turning out of the corner of my eye.

Alas, I'm nowhere near as clean as he is. :(
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

This is your brain.

This is your brain on slap.

4. ha ha ha! it melted ur brain? Well ive personaly never seen it, but i learnt to slap watching Psychedelic sex funk live from heaven by the rhcp. Just imagine what flea did to my brain.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Flea is an OK slapper, but Sklarevski takes it about 10 levels beyond that.
  6. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bought that video too. Watched it once. Two months ago. Haven't wanted to see it since. :confused: :oops:

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Let me know if you want to sell it.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too.
  9. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Dave, why haven't you watched it again? I've thougth about buying it but your comment makes me question it.
  10. I can understand why you would get very discouraged with the video, I am sure he just sat down watched all 80 minutes and then said there is no way in hell I will ever be able to to that stuff and then never watched the tape again.
    What you need to do is just sit down with your bass push play and follow alexis. If you can do what he is doing keep going. When he get's to something you can't do ( and trust me he will very quickly) just stop the movie don't push pause STOP THE MOVIE!!!! then practice the stuff leading up to that part and including what you could not do every day until you can do it in your sleep. If you have never slapped before this process will take you many months practicing every day to get to the end of the movie. However If you keep with it you will see More improvement in you slap than you would have ever believed and trust me if you get half as good as alexis when people see you playing in you jive ass band they will say "look at that bass player, the guy is a god!!!!":D Funk ON;)
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ditto on what fatfunker said!

Somebody gave me that tape, I watched it and laughed. I didn't even consider the possiblility of being able to do what he was doing. I could barely pop a string - just couldn't get the technique down.

I watched closely though and went step by step, practicing everything on the tape till I could do it like him. It was kind of meditative for me, I'd just get into a slow groove and go over and over and over the techniques - watching TV, in bed, in the bathroom. It didn't take me long at all to start slapping away like crazy. Once your hands get used to the moves, they go on automatic pilot. What seems impossible, after a while is actually pretty simple. Kinda like card tricks. It just takes some patience and persistence. I can play most of what's on that tape - I got bored with it after I learned all I felt needed to learn. Maybe I'll pick up one day where I left off.

Trust me, if I could learn - anybody can. Slapping and popping was something that for some reason was just plain impossible before I got that tape. Now I can even impress myself.
  12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hey, I'm confused. Just re-read all of the above....

FatFunker started this thread, but is also responding and giving himself advice? Did I miss something?
  13. dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    what is the actual name of the video, i would like to buy it
  14. Alright smart A**:) I had trouble with the video at first but after watching over and over that was the only way I could learn from it with out it hurting my head. If you want you can sit there all day long and watch it over and over and try to get his triple pluck down if you wan't:D
  15. Oh yeah bass dude the name of the video is THE SLAP BASS PROGRAM
  16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Hey Fatso, if you start calling me bad things, then I call you bad things back, then we run into each other one day, we're gonna want to SLAP each other silly!

I think I need a nap.

OK. I take back the Fatso remark. Can we be friends instead now?
  17. Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Steve S, It really is a good video. I just feel terribly inadequate when I watch it. :D

It's very well done. It's worth the price of admission.