1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Slap Bass Welcome Center

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Dec 30, 2006.

1. AdamRoberts

AdamRoberts

Dec 1, 2014
    Slap on the root of the chord. Muted up thumb on the "and" of the beat. Muted pop on the "a" (fourth sixteenth note).
    Alternate between the root and fifth of the chord.

Putting together a video. Be up in a few minutes.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. AdamRoberts

AdamRoberts

Dec 1, 2014

Still a little sloppy but you get the idea, hopefully.

Dejavu_Jones, exidor and remcult like this.
  3. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    HOw does Jonas Hellborg do all the fast slap? I don't see him double thumping nor left hand slapping, but he can sure play fast.

4. I am struggling with the ability to bounce my thumb off my string. Any advice?

s0c9 likes this.
  5. Argassab

Argassab

Dec 16, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    Is there a way to slap without hurting the cuticles? My technique must be wrong.

6. twinjet

twinjet jazz bassist / G&L enthusiast Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Haven't seen this one yet, so here goes.

This four-part video from Victor Wooten gave me a good idea of how to slap. I'll post the first video only for brevity.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I am having the toughest time with learning to slap... same problem with thumb and getting that percussive tone.
    I'm on a 5-str but that shouldn't be an issue.. I've looked at/watched lots of vids on it, but simply cannot get it down.
    Pops.. are np... but the coordination between thumb/finger and the left hand sync is escaping me...
    Any suggestions ??

8. s0c9 what helped me most was slowing down. I mean real slow. It doesnt sound the best and doesnt groove much but you need to train your brain and hands.
    It will happen; keep at it.

exidor and s0c9 like this.
  9. kosma

kosma

Mar 26, 2012
    Poland
    Hello! This is my new video with some slap and harmonics patern :) I hope you like it

exidor, Alik and cannedveggiessuck like this.
  10. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Hey folks. After 20+yrs of bass playing, I am finally getting into this - !
    All that I can add is, I am not thinking of bouncing my thumb, but of following through with it, right to the next string, like an inverted rest stroke, but obviously more percussive. And the bounce just occurs naturally if the wrist rotation is kept loose enough.
    I'm also finding this much easier having setup my bass with light strings (95 70 55 40) and lower action than before.
    It's great fun breaking through a very old plateau, hope some of that helps.

11. joeblasted

joeblasted

Sep 15, 2006
    its like doing a 1-2 on a bass drum where the ankle produces the first hit and the second stronger one comes with the leg movement. you can get 1-2s quickly using an analogous technique with wrist & thumb ;)

12. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Seems like there is hundreds of links here, any way to isolate just the instructional videos?

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah, I'd like to see that to. There's a lot of indecipherable plank spanking going on in some of these links.

Technicality and Funky-Wunky like this.
  14. markmeloney

markmeloney

Apr 27, 2013

15. Colinos5

Colinos5

Jan 12, 2013
    Netherlands
    Awesome, a slap bass thread. Sure, we all play the songs, but slap bass is our time to funk the place up

I've got a question. After a few hours slapping I get a red blister under the callus of my thumb and my indexfinger feels like it's been out of it's socket.

I know it's hard to give advice while not seeing my technique, but perhaps someone has a thought on this? Is the solution slapping more, changing technique or trying lighter strings?

(I use the 'Marcus Miller' technique in this scenario.)

16. THIS IS WHERE YOU LEARN HOW TO SLAP!! WOOO! NH BASS FEST 2016!

17. Go Sugaya

Go Sugaya

Jan 28, 2016
    I have a question regarding slapping on the A string.
    I can get a decent sound out of the E string but when I try to slap the A string it just doesn't give me enough low end and sounds very weak. Especially when fretted i really really have to slap it to make it stand out.
    I have tried adjusting my string action to very low around 2mm where it barely starts to fret buzz upon finger playing. this didn't help so I raised it up to around 3.5mm and it seems to give me slightly more punch.
    But I realized that when I slap the E string , even tho the string action is set pretty low it doesn't actually hit the last fret. Whereas when I slap the A string it looks like the string is actually hitting the last fret making it mute for a bit? I don't know this for sure but it just feels that way. Is the string supposed to hit the fret when slapped on? Is my string action too high? Too low? I have it tuned with regular tuning.

I have also tried to slap my thumb through to the D string but I have my bass guitar around my waist and don't want to bring it any higher so this is not an option. I slap like flea where I meat it at the top and bounce my thumb away.

I read a post where people were saying E string is just easier because it has no other strings in the way. So people tend to slap it harder but when slapping the A it is between 2 strings so we automatically tend to slap it with less force and try for more accuracy. I don't think this is my case. I am pretty sure I'm slapping it with same amount of force and technique. And even when I hit it dead on, I still think it's lacking compared to the other bass players on YouTube.

When I do searches on the web almost everybody says to either slap through or to bring the action as low as possible. Also to scoop mid on the EQ etc, But it doesn't seem to be working for me.
    I have a fender am deluxe JB and currently have nickel wound medium gauge 45-105 on it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

18. MarkM13

MarkM13

Mar 29, 2015
    CT - USA
    Slapping on a five string.
    I am new to slapping. I find the fundamentals easier on my four string but, with all the different tunings that my band uses I play a fiver 92% of the time. The other time I'm on fretless.
    My question is how do folks go about keeping the 'B' string quiet when slapping the 'E'. Sometimes my fledgling accuracy has me hitting both the E & B but when I do strike only the E the B is often
    resonating. Any hints for handling it?

Thanks,
    Mark

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I use the tip of my fretting fingers to mute the vibration of the B, sometimes I put a hair scrunchy on the neck near the nut. Also, trying to keep the slapping thumb parallel to the string helps a bunch.

20. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I've been experimenting with slap and pop just to add some effects to some songs.... one problem
    I run into is though I practice at home I get a decent tone, but I get out in the clubs and can't seem to even be able to hear much of what I'm doing.... I have to tone set basically the same,I know the room changes tone,but it shouldnt be that much....

I guess my question is do you run a pretty high tone setting to get a better slap and pop? This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm new to this... should I run the trebke considerabky higher than I would say onplaying bass to regular songs, like ballads and so on...

I appreciate the help!