1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Slap Bass Welcome Center

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Zero dynamics. He is a great bass player, but this is not the best slapping advert.

2. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    You've got plenty to work with. From what I see, your issues are a general lack of control around your muting. I know that's probably opposite to what you are thinking in that you describe your issue as a striking issue. But, I see that your are generally not set up to sting the string with your slap or to mute your pops which are really critical for playing these disco style slap bass parts. You've got to man handle it more. I think this video, while longer than I'd like, might really help you.

Poplar and Lardass5000 like this.
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks. I really like Mark over at Talking Bass.

tshapiro and Mingus_Habens like this.
  4. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Does slapping damage the fretboard? I've heard that too much can lead to needing a fret job...

Thanks in advance!

5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Not in my experience. I've been slapping on my basses for years and have never needed to have them refretted or have the fingerboard repaired.

jdh3000 likes this.
  6. Karl Kaminski

Karl Kaminski Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    NYC
    only if you use a hammer ;)

jdh3000 likes this.
  7. If you play your bass, it's perfectly normal to wear out the frets. Damaging the fretboard is another thing, and it doesn't happen just playing the instrument. Don't think about it, play your bass and enjoy.

jdh3000 likes this.
  8. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    I played a 1983 Fender Jazz from 1983 to 2003 as my only slap Bass. When I sold it in 2003 it only needed a light dressing. And I slap the hell out of my instruments. I'd say 20 years on one fret job with my style of playing it's pretty good as far as wear goes..

if you're thinking about fret wear you're thinking way too hard.

tshapiro and jdh3000 like this.
  9. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Thank you!

10. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I slap some on an old bass but just was trying to make sure before doing it on ny main axe.

I had heard it did but thought I'd ask you all...

Thank you!

11. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I just never slapped much but have been working on it on an old bass. Been thinking about doing it some live.

Thanks!

Mingus_Habens likes this.
  12. I've got into slap bass more and more in the last year, to the point that I've become pretty fluent and consistent.
    Unfortunately, I noticed that when I slap consistently for a while, the index finger of my right hand get damaged in the bottom right area (look at your own index to understand). That's definitely not the area that pops the string, it's the top angle that covers the fingernail. I'm pretty sure that this happens because when I pop the D string, the index somehow scrape against the G string. Eventually, it develops a cut.
    If you have some suggestions, I'm all ears...

13. Does your bass have a narrow string spacing? That no doubt will make it harder to pop strings without touching the adjecent string. You could record a close up video of your right hand while playing and after that play it in slomo to analyze your movement and how you could improve it.

14. Actually, I started having this problem when I was slapping on a StingRay, which has a wider string spacing compared to my Jazz. Maybe I'm just slapping more often and string spacing isn't the problem. I'll keep practicing while paying attention to my right hand.
    Thanks.

15. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    arrgg I'm actually making an effort to be at least rudimentary at slap but now have a huge blister on my thumb and a smaller one on my index finger tip that I think is going to force me to lay off for a bit.

Is this a "normal" issue or is my technique all wrong?

16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I’m also an aspiring slapper but have never gotten a blister from it. Where exactly is it? How long did it take to form? Can you describe your technique in more detail? Video would be ideal, but I wouldn’t want to put my own mediocre slapping on public display so I won’t blame you if you don’t either. However, this is the “welcome center” i.e. a place to find help, so maybe that’s an option.

Raz

17. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    On the thumb, it's right along the side/corner of the outer edge, which is where I'm using it to strike the string. Maybe I'm not using the correct part of my thumb?

I could post of vid but it'd be especially awful give that the slap is rather painful at the moment.

Razman likes this.
  18. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Blisters typically result from friction so if your thumb and index are not used to the friction inherent in striking/plucking a string (and have yet to build up any calluses) then I wouldn’t be worried.

cardinal likes this.
  19. bass12

bass12 Basking Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    When I slap I usually “play through the string”. This means that, rather than having my thumb bounce off the string it continues past the string and ends up between the string it just struck and the one above (so if I strike the E string my thumb ends up between the E and the A string). This is an approach that many bassists use but it is by no means mandatory (see Louis Johnson for example). The part of my thumb that strikes the string is the entire section between the “peak” of the joint and the tip of the thumb (the first point of contact being just above the peak of the joint). See what works for you in terms of getting the sound you want.

5StringPocket and cardinal like this.
  20. Tom Read

Tom Read

Nov 15, 2017
    I'll check out these videos. I've been a pro bass player for 35 years - but never mastered slapping, not to the standard I would wish anyway. High time I addressed the issue, so thanks for this resource.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021