The slap machine meets the low end and the tap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Aug 16, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    So im looking for a new axe and im in europe so dont start posting american high end basses cos they cost 500-1000€ more here (yeah i hate capitalism).

I was thinking of getting a multifacetical 4 string bass cos i do really enjoy making technique-crossovers on my basslines so i need a bass thtas comfortable for finderplaying, thta has space for slapping cos i dont really like to slap on the fretboard, also need abass thats easy and comfortable for tapping. BTW it must have more than 20 frets so half of the fenders are out)

So the basses i've been whatching are:

A thumb NT: but tapping can be a problem due to the neckdive. I love the growl of this thing, and it has an interesting slap tone.

A sterling: i love the way it looks but its a little expensive for a bolt-on bass (here it costs 1900€), it seems to be one of the best slappers. never played one so i need to know if i can get deep low tones as i get with my jazz (im woried bout this cos it doesnt has a bridge pickup wich i use a lot).

A jerzy-drozd: i do really like this basses i can get one of their bolt-ons with the pickups i want (j-mm) the pream i want (aguilar obp-3 or u-retro). it would be wenge neck body wood would be choosen depending on the cost of the bass (with etimoe it would be rounding the 2000-2200€) gold hardware, and i dont know how many frets cos 26 seem to be a little uncomfortable to slap.

any other suggestion would be apreciated (I dont like spectors and DLX fenders)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like Warwicks and have chronic GAS for a Warwick Thumb bolt-on. So my vote goes to the Thumb NT. To cure the neck dive you can get a upper horn extender or you can put a strap pin on the back where the neck meets the body.

(Pstt.. anyone know where to find a brass extender thing? It goes onto the strap pin or something and extends it an inch or two..?)
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Thats the way alembics avoid neck dive with the strap buton on that position isnt it?
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive never seen an Alembic in person but if thats where the strap button is on them, id assume so, yes.
  5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I like all of the basses you mentioned.
    On the Warwick NT I personally dislike the neck dive issue, otherwise it´s a great bass. Love the tone. Although the Stingray is another great bass I think 1900 Euros is too much, mainly comparing with the features you get with a Jerzy Drozd for a bit more of money.

I´ll also include a Cirrus. It meets all of your requirements (slap tone, # of frets, fast neck, versatility) and is within that price range.

Since it´s gonna be big move, I suggest you to search and test as many basses as you can before buying. I took me 4 months to decide before buying my Cirrus. I never had the chance to play it before
    (availability in Argentina isn´t something common), but reviews and advices from several TB´ers made me go for the right choice.

Hope it helps
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Me pasa lo mismo aki en españa no puedes probar nada porke todo lo tienen ke pedir, he estado a punto de denunciar a una tienda a proteccion al consumidor porke tienen el thumb nt en el catalogo y nunca lo han tenido en la tienda.

I don't like cirrus because they are way too big for a 4 and the 5 has tight string spacing so its difficult for me to slap at my full speed.

EDIT: BTW jerzy drozd roolz i was thinking about a bolt-on ash body wenge neck with flame maple tops and a very very dark ebony fretboard.
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The neck on a warwick doesn't dive too much. It's no EBO. Have a good strap and you're all set. I do a lot of tappy stuff as well as slap and other things, and the Wick is good for all.
  8. Jerzy Drozd would be a great option given your location.
  9. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Euro series Spector?
  10. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Aren't Hotwire Basses made over there? I played a Jazz of theirs once and fell in love.
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

after posting on a thread you should read everything of the first post.
  12. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    i prefer the warwick for better slapping tone, but the stingray is a very good one too. thing is, in this country is so hard to buy one MM for less than 1700€, so maybe going nuts to find one that suits you and is affordable is not worth it.

--> sin embargo, en Bass Central trabaja un gran TBasser llamado Gard que te puede hacer algún descuentillo en alguno de los bajos de esta página que pongo abajo. Quizá con envío + impuestos salga por unos cientos de euros más de lo que vale el bajo ahí, pero por preguntar... creo que no cobran. Yo que tú le mandaba un mensaje a ver que te pueden ofrecer.

Buena suerte. :bassist:
  13. The Two biggest slap machine monsters in England are GB's and Shukers...

Both are top of their leagues...and give an other basses a run for their money...and also totally handmade and customizable to ur specifacations.....

Both are reasonalbe priced for wot u get and i know both luithers very well...

if u fancy more info drop me a PM....