1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "slap sound"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by srdsrd, Apr 11, 2010.

1. srdsrd

srdsrd Guest

Hi!

I have one question. The sound we hear when we slap a string... where does it come from? I mean, i slapped correctly the srting wont touch the end of the fretboard or touch any fret at all. So why does it make such a loud sound even if "barely" touched.

Thank you very much

2. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    On the contrary, the percussive slap sound comes from the metal string snapping against the metal frets. If the string doesn't hit the fretboard, it won't make that "slap" sound.

3. srdsrd

srdsrd Guest

But i watch it very closely and I could sware the string doesn't touch anything...

4. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    It's all in that initial strike of the string. That's why it sounds different on a fretless than a fretted.

5. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    That's because the string moves faster than the eye can actually see. If you see some slow motion of an instrument sting you'll notice that it moves around a lot more than you normally realise.

High speed film rocks! (Trujillo and slap bass around the 6:40 mark)

6. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    That's a cool video. :) It makes the strings look really floppy and loose!

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Watching cymbals on high speed is amazing. You never realise how much they flex until you do.

8. VERY cool; thanks for that!