the smallest amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by `ash, Jun 23, 2005.

1. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    What is the smallest amp available?

By smallest i mean, size by width; excluding DI boxes.
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wouldn't it be a Walter Woods Ultra?

1200 watts, 5 (?) pounds and in a tiny package.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IIRC, they are a bit more (6 lbs or so), and the power varies as they are each custom-ordered, though there are some "standardized" ones.

A bit cheaper and without the long waiting list would be Acoustic Image's 600W, 6 lb mini-head
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The amps AI makes are pretty small, about the size of a cigar box.

5. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I did a search right after i made the thread... silly me.
    The Phil Jones makes a small one also.

Just speculating here... do you think it would be possible for an amp to be designed so that it could say... fit into a guitar case?

It would be great to have a small, extremely portable, and very simple head unit that you could carry in your guitar case.

A 2x10 in one hand, and your case in the other. One trip in.
  6. I dare say you could quiet easiely build one if you were a electronics wiz- It wouldnt put out all that much juice though. The powersections, of even SS amps is pretty big, even for smaller wattage amps.

I believe Jaycar makes a 50w amp, or atleast the powersection- you could attatch it to something like a Sans Amp BDDI (the idea of one with eq etc... not an actual one), to make an adjustable, small amp.
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think with any small amp these days, it's easy enough.

Most come with/can fit in a shoulder carry bag. Amp of the shoulder, bass in one hand, cab in the other.

Simple :)
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, here ya go! :D Its the smallest tube amp I have ever seen. It puts out a whopping 1.8 milliwatts (or 0.0018 watts) and you can build it yourself. :bassist: BTW, thats a 12ax7 tube next to it.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! :D

If you really want to look into maybe building something yourself check out Fred Nachbaur's site. He has some cool little tube amps you can build yourself. Probably nothing that will work for what your talking about though. Here is the link: Fred Nachbaur's Vacuum Tube Projects
  9. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Crate makes a 150 watts RMS @4ohm/75w stereo guitar amp thats under 5 pounds.

Has a DI, FX loop, rca inputs, low, mid, high eq, and is like 10 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and maybe 6 inches deep.

Comes with a padded shoulder bag and stuff, and there's a headphone jack on it.

I played one, I thought it was really cool, you could probably use it as a bass amp without a problem.

I played it through a full crate stack after I played a Blue Voodoo and I crapped my pants at how good the little thing sounded for only $200.
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Actually I think the Acoustic Image Clarus SL takes the cake; 350W @ 2 ohms; 7"x7"x2"; 2.5 lbs:

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    For what you are suggesting (amp that would fit in guitar case), I agree with Alex that the Clarus SL is probably the best available option. I played through one of these up at Low Down Sound, and I was very impressed.

The Walter Woods Ultra, though, is the ultimate "tiny" amp IMHO. It weighs about 7lbs, but still that's really light. And at 1,200 watts into 4 ohms, it's up for about any gig. Then of course, there is the sound!

But the Phil Jones Bass Buddy (which is really more of a preamp, but can actually amplifiy a speaker) deserves honorable mention. I've never tried one, though.

The upcoming Ashdown Super Fly looks like it could be quite interesting, too.

12. Get a walter woods or a clarus, take off the chasis and then mount in guitar case..... :hyper:
  13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Or just buy an old Sears/Silvertone! Case, amp, cab in one! :p
  14. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Walter Woods
    Ampeg Portabass
    Acustic Image Clarus
    EA IAmp (no that small but light)
    GK heads are very light and fairly small

I think fot the money the Clarus would be nice and it's a featherweight.
    Also, I think they just released a 500watts power amp that's like 5lbs. Pair that with the Clarues or a preamp and get great tone and decend power.

Take care...
  15. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    The clarus sl-r looks fairly small. The walter woods would also be a great one too.

The picture i had in my head would be something half the depth of the Clarus sl-r and maybe a foot long. say 2x3x12

Are there any design limitation to deal with? Are these amps pretty much at their smallest for what they are?

All wild thoughts. Dont mind me.
  16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Phil Jones Bass Buddy might be slightly smaller, but of course not powerful enough for much more than a relatively quiet practice session:

17. `ash

Feb 26, 2004

I just checked that out on the Ashdown site. It looks like it has a lot of potential.
  18. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I saw a tube guitar amp at a NAMM show that was the size of an MXR phase 90--it was built into the same style chassis. The tubes were the size of Christmas tree light bulbs, but it put out class A 1/2 watt, and didn't sound bad. Don't remember the name of the company, though. I wasn't interested enough to pay $350 for an amp that fits in my pocket.