Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Smiths Bass Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PorphyaPlayer14, Sep 18, 2002.

1. PorphyaPlayer14

PorphyaPlayer14 Guest

Feb 2, 2002
    California
    Do any of you guys know what equipment the bass player from The Smiths uses for the song This Charming Man or There is A Light That Never Goes Out. For you Smiths fans out there don't worry I'm not going to copy his sound I'm just sort of making my own list on bass sounds and what heads make the sound and I'll post it as soon as I'm done with it. Thanks a lot you guys and gals. Keep Playing Bass!

Your Bass Player Friend, Erik

2. I'm sure someone will have a better idea about this than me but I seem to remember him playing a Ricky (or possibly a Fender?).

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m pretty certain that he used a P-bass with maple neck through a Peavey stack. I saw this on some live-show in TV so I could be wrong. He also played with a pick. Hope this helps.

4. sure sounds like a P to me. i'm a big smiths fan.

5. It's already been said, but a maple necked P, played with a pick and probably with tone control wide open, is all I've seen him with as well. He could obviously have used something else while recording, though.
    When it somes to what amplifier he used, I'm clueless. Maybe something with valves in it...