Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Solution to Music Downloading

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well buying something before you try it as we all know is down-right stupid. No intelligent person spends $30,000 on a car they don't drive. No one of us buys a bass without playing it first.

So why should you buy a CD without hearing the entire thing? You shouldn't.

So... just stream the entire album off the purchasing site. You'll be able to try before you buy and it'll be pretty much like the radio, streaming, no downloading.

This would cut back on bands putting out CDs with one really good song and the rest crap. Most importantly it would put the power in the consumer's hands where it belongs.

Sure it's practical, but sadly in a capitalist system, it will probably never happen. Capitalism doesn't know the meaning of the word practical, only maximum profit.

I guess I can dream, but until the day, I'll just continue to download albums and buy the CDs that deserve to be bought and delete the ones that do not. I will not be tricked into buying crap.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Bandwidth = money.

I browse sites like Amazon, the site Brendan posted, musicplasma and a few others to hear samples. They do not offer anywhere close to the whole album for streaming (which most of us could steal anyway, if we didn't mind the quality hit) but they do offer enough to lessen the gamble. Word of mouth is still what I rely on most.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI

...Lowering CD prices?

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    *cheering from the crowd*

I've considered just downloading entire albums and then sending the sticker price of them directly to the artist. I think smaller artists that I really enjoy (like maybe Tom Waits) would get a kick out of it.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    People still download music. Hmm. Go figure.

Anyway, off to Miscellaneous.

6. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Lowering CD prices wouldn't do it for me. A waste of money is still a waste of money no matter how big or small.

If I paid $5 for a crap CD I would still be pissed I supported a band's crap product.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Go to www.listen.com and join Rhapsody. 9.95 a month for unlimited listening of over 40,000 cds. Tons of stuff. And if you like something you can download and burn it for .79 a track. I have listened to a ton of stuff that I never would have if I had to pay for it first. Majorly opened my musical tastes. When a TBer writes about a great bass line I pop over to Rhapsody and listen to the song. really cool. saved a ton on worthless cd purchases as well.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love iTunes, use it all the time. hardly ever goto the CD store anymore.

9. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    But don't you have to pay before you listen to the song for most of those? That's the part that is wrong.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    With iTunes you can listen to 30 seconds of every song(800,000 and counting) on the store. if you want to buy the song you pay 99 cents.

yes, there are times when I wish it was percentage based(say, 30 -40 seconds average or 1-2 minutes for really long tracks)

Most music I find myself buying I don't need anything more than 30 seconds of a couple tracks and I'll know if I want it or not.

iTunes has helped me get more new music than anything else, it's totally awesome.

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i download a lot of music.
    but i also buy a lot of albums.

in my opinion, an album without the cover art and cd insert art is pretty soulless :oops:

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I know I'm too old when I hear this sort of thing :cool:

Back when 78 RPM vinyl was all there was, you could actually go into stores and LISTEN to the records before you bought them. That largely stopped once shrinkwrapping of records started. Online clips are a step in the right direction in that regard.

I've spent all my music-buying life having to make purchase decisions based from the radio, listening to music at someone else's home, reading reviews, hearing promo copies played at record stores, etc. The only time I get to listen before I buy is at used record stores :D Sure, I have made some bad purchases but I'd say after buying THOUSANDS of recordings over the last 37 years that I haven't been stung too often.

I also know that my daughter has never bought a lot of CDs but once she had access to CD-R burning at home she started borrowing CDs to copy and when she went off to college and had access to a high speed network she immediately loaded her hard drive up with mp3s. Just last week she went to see a band performing at a local record store. Rather than buying their CD while she was there, she came home and downloaded it :eek:

So while SOME people do use downloading as a way to audition music before buying the CD, I think most people (especially kids with little money to buy alot of CDs) download because it' s free and they simply don't accept the argument that it's theft.

The problem for record companies and eventually the artists themselves is how to convince someone who can get the music for FREE that ANY price is not too much :rolleyes:

13. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    In my opinion, cover art has nothing to do with music. Also, if I want to know about the band (which I usually do with bands I support), I'll check out their website, read the bio, and see pictures of the bass that the bassist is playing with (that's the most important :p)

I was saying that bands should stream their albums Brian, not have their albums availible for download.

It's the only way to try something before you buy it. AND with something so opinion driven such as music, trying before buying is absolutely necessary.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

It is weird. There is such a generation gap. While as a young boy, we bought new songs on 45, CDs have been around for the entire time I've been an adult purchaser of albums.

Further, what's really weird is this idea of buying an album and simply not liking it. This just really hasn't happened with me. Perhaps a couple of times, but that's it. Of course, I buy a ton of jazz and world music, so maybe I'm simply getting a better class of music. I imagine if I was buying an album because of one or two good songs on the radio, I could be in trouble. But, then again, whenever I have purchased an album because of some songs on the radio that I've liked, (e.g. Macy Gray, Jack Johnson, Ben Folds), I've always been happy.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Man, I have bought hundreds of albums without hearing what was on the disc.
    Knowing the personnel on the album is usually enough for me.
    I just bought Structure by Terri Lynn Carrington(Haslip, Osby, & Adam Rogers round out the 4-tet). Listening to that prior to buying would be a waste of my time. I mean...c'mon.
    Occasionally, I'll get burned...no big deal.

Flashback to 1972(NO Internet, very little else as far as Rock news, either)-
    I buy School's Out thinking it was a female acoustic guitarist(maybe like a '70s Joni Mitchell). I was very happy when those initial 3 notes came off Side 1.
    ;)