1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The song of our (the modern) generation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Nov 1, 2006.

1. What do you think the song of the modern generation (teens-early twenties) is? The song that best represents it all.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO all of the most popular hits of the last decade have been covers of hits from the 70s and 80s. So that represents the modern generation to my grumpy old mind.

3. Impossible to narrow it to one song. IMO.

4. in s.s. (social studies) class in 6th grade we had an assigment to rewrite "We Didn't Start The Fire" ussing events from our lifetime, My group did some pretty great stuff

5. Tough question.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, maybe??

6. The song that best represents it all? No clue. If you ask me to pick the best of the POPULAR hits of the past five years, here are a few choices...

* "Lose Yourself", Eminem. An instant classic -- dramatic, powerful and memorable. His career peaked right there.

* "Fell In Love With A Girl", White Stripes.

* "Since U Been Gone", Kelly Clarkson. I know it's lacking in substance, but that song was a rarity -- it was alt-rock AND teen-pop at the same time, and it was catchy as hell.

7. That was my first thought as well, unfortunately.

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Gangster's paradise - coolio?

California love - dre & tupac?

I can tell you that IMO the greatest album of our generation would have to be dre's Chronic 2001.

9. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Not my favorite song, but I have to agree. It really did represent this generation.

I think it's up there. Other contenders would be Soundgardens Superunknown, STPs Core, Tools Aenima, and NINs The Downward Spiral, IMO.

10. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    radiohead - creep
    muse - hysteria
    arctic monkeys - i bet you look good on the dancefloor

11. C'mon, the OP said "teens to early twenties". "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came out fifteen years ago! Totally different generation. To me, teens-early twenties means you need to pick a song from this decade.

12. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    White and Nerdy.

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Superman's Dead by Our Lady Peace.

Graeme

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    "Opps, I did it again" is the obvious choice!

15. I don't like these kinds of questions. Can you really go back to the teens/20-somethings of the 1970s, for example, and say there was really just one song that defined them? What does that even mean, "defined them?" Just seems like empty sloganeering to me.

I'm not ripping on the original poster...this is just something that I don't understand here.

16. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm 23, and I agree with 'Smells like Teen Spirit.' I grew up with that song.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    23 as well, and as much as I don't like that song, I think it was a HUGE influence on many in our age group and impacted a LOT of the music that is being put out today.

18. Well sooooorry! ;)

OK, a song from the 00's??

Crazy Frog

19. Well it's a question from an interview sheet, I didn't necessarily make it, and I was just curious to get some ideas but yeah, it is a bad question.

20. +1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021