1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The song of our (the modern) generation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Nov 1, 2006.

1. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    "These Excuses" by Alanis Morisette off "So-called Chaos".

No excuses.

PS: For my generation (no pun intended) it was "Won't Get Fooled Again" by the Who. Too bad we're still gettin' fooled.

2. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
    tom waits - goin out west

runs through my head all the time :p

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Anything by CHROME.

4. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    mmm bop...

:bag:

5. Not from our generation, but "Stop Children whats that Sound" by Buffalo Springfield fits perfectly

6. scott917

scott917

Mar 13, 2005
    Houston, Tx.
    i agree with the Buffalo Springfield nomination....

but i would also like to add "My Generation" from The Who. To me it is as relevant now as it was then. It is a nice song about giving the finger to the establishment.... How is that not what you go through as a young adult no matter the age/decade?

S

7. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    how about ..........The Last 10 years (superman) by Kenny Rogers. Even for those who dont like country i think it describes the past decade pretty well

8. I like to think Scar Tissue...It was 7 years ago...but it's influenced my playing like no other...(it introduced me to the Chili's)

sean

9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Agreed.

The funniest part about Wierd Al is how he's still relevant in pop culture long after some of the bands he's parodied and dead and gone :D

Honestly, to '00 generation... I don't know of anything else that really could be a specific representational song. Or even album.

-dash

10. I'm an older guy (40s), and I was trying to relate this question to myself. I can't decide between:

Another Brick in the Wall

or

Anarchy in the UK

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I thought "Crazy" by Gnarls Berkley summed up the current generation!! :p

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'm 24, and I'd have to say something off weezer's blue album. "Say It Ain't So" is probably the most popular. That album was huge when I was in middle school, and it had a resurgence a few years ago while I was in college. When I was in a cover band playing frat parties people would go nuts for anything off the blue album. "My name is Jonas" would pretty much bring down the house.

"Basket Case" by Green Day would be a good one too.

There were a lot of memorable albums that came out in 1994: Purple by STP, Dookie, the blue album, Under The Table and Dreaming by DMB, Throwing Copper by Live. To be in middle school again...

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sponge Bob Sqaure Pants!

:bag:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

How about "American Idiot".....;)

15. Just a minor point - it's called 'For What it's Worth'.

16. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    For some reason "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" popped into my head when I read the OP...

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I agree that SLTS was THE song of the 90s. Its lyrics and music perfectly represented this generation, compelte with nostalgia, nihilism and lack of ideals.
    Well, it could be. :meh:

Seriously, I think Gorillaz is one of the only bands around that truly represents the 00s.
    First, they're virtual, not really a band. This alone is a big symbol. They don't fall into nostalgia or copy older stuff. Like them or not, they're inventing a new style.
    The mix of sub-cultures,cartoons, movies and musics makes it the perfect icon. I wonder if teenagers will agree with me.

18. Good piont, the Gorillaz definitely represents a new era, or a new concept.

Feel Good Inc. maybe? haha

19. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    I would say for my college experience, Karma Police, You and Whose Army?, Knives Out by Radiohead. Highschool years would have to be the whole album The Chronic by Dr. Dre, Under the Table and Dreaming by Dave Mathews band, Weezer they're first album. I would definitely say Radiohead is the greatest band of my generation. I'm 26.

20. Bruce Lindfield

"Heaven knows I'm miserable now..." .....:p

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021