The Song That Got You Into Rock Music...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BassGod, Jun 3, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm just wondering if you guys can remember the first song(s) that got you into rock music. I know the first rock song I ever listened to was 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings' by the Smashing Pumpkins, and I've listened to rock music ever since. So, what was the song that made you a rocker??? :) :bassist:

2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Dancing Days" by Zep. Yes, I know, I'm old! :spit:
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Astronome Domine, Pink Floyd, Umma Gumma. That warped me for life.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Talk about "dated" - When I was 4 years old, my family was driving through Forest Park in St. Louis one Sunday evening and Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog" came on the radio........(this was back when radio was free to play more than the Billboard Top 40).

I remember it because I raised such a hissy-fit when my dad changed the station that he stopped the car and threatened to leave me out of the car until I stopped screaming for him to turn "Hound Dog" back on.

I got payback later on in life when I brought home my first 3x15" bass amp. :D
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Probably the Stones....hard to say.
  6. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Low Spark of High Heeled Boys- Traffic

it was my mom's album.

I love it to this day!
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not really into rock. But I'd say the presidents of the united states of america rock me a new one.
  8. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Sikamikanico" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I had never heard anything played that fast in my life.

"John the Fisherman" by Primus

was the song that got me into seriously playing the bass.
  9. I first started listening to rock in 1994. I believe the song that hooked me for life was Green Day's "Basket Case". At first I thought it was called "Longview", but I eventually got the titles straightened out and Green Day's been my favorite band ever since. :p I would also give credit to Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" and the Offspring's "Come Out and Play", both extremely influential songs for me. Thinking back to '94-96 makes me sad; how did everything go downhill so quickly?? :scowl:
  10. | Even Flow | Black Hole Sun | Come As You Are |
  11. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles

First heard it (and other Beatles tunes) a few weeks after Lennon was shot.
  12. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Anybody who has listened to Astronome Domine, has been warped for life.

I love that older Floyd stuff. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, Manchester Meadows. Atom Heart Mother.
    Yea, Good Stuff.
  13. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    a mix of my mother's jesus christ superstar and my neighbor's bon jovi- you give love a bad name.
  14. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    emma bunton. Anyone remember her? "what I am" really got a lot of play in my tape deck when I was real young. But after that, I got into a lot harder stuff. Pumpkins were always it, and bush
  15. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    My Dad was a hardcore jazzer so I think the first rock record I heard (not counting AM radio) was KISS in like 1975 or so. I was 9 or 10. I loved it. A friend of mine was a total Kiss Army maniac and got me into it. He brought over the Kiss Alive! LP and that was all she wrote! Thanks Troy! :bassist:

And what was even cooler is that my Dad bought me my very own copy of that classic Kiss LP for my birthday that year! :hyper:
  16. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I hate to admit it.. But it was some "Guitar Vader" song. Hell, they got me into music in general.. I was a total geek before I started listening. I heard about them from "Jet Set Radio" one of my favorite video games :p
  17. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    :) Hole in My Soul :) -Aerosmith got me into rock.

:bassist: Fear of the Dark-Iron Maiden :bassist: got me into metal.
  18. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    old school genesis, zappa and bon scott ac/dc got me into rock and the ozzy/randy rhodes tribute album made me want to be a musician.
  19. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    My mom had "Kashmir" playing all the time. Thats when I noticed guitars and drums.
  20. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    When I was about ten yeas old, my drum teacher gave me a tape with Genesis - their self-titled album from, I think, '83.
    Put it in the player, and "Mama" came out. I was never the same again. Now I listen much to Genesis (the old stuff), King Crimson, Dream Theater, Flecktones, Spock's Beard etc etc