Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The sound in my head is in this bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Traded with andysvec recently for his pre-Gibson Tobias. 1988 Basic 5. I wasn't too sure about it at first (both basses had some issues), but part of what I didn't like was that the original pre had been replaced with a Sadowsky pre. That may be heresy to some, but I wanted three bands, and boost and cut. So I traded with Todd 4ta for a nice NTMB, and this thing came alive! I'm beginning to understand what the big deal is with these.

It has the usual 5-piece maple/purpleheart neck, and I think the body wings are maple, although the bass is pretty light. It was originally painted, so the wings aren't impressively figured, but that doesn't bug me. It's been refinned in clear gloss, although this finish has taken a beating. Maybe I'll get it done in a solid or translucent color one of these days, but it's pretty cool as is.

Ah, but the sound. Before I got it, I asked Mike Tobias about it, and he said he thought it would be pretty punchy. He wasn't kidding. The mids are massive, but not harsh. With the pre set flat it's pretty good, but with the mids boosted a bit at 500 hz., it's amazing. This is a bass you can feel and hear at the same time.

The 34" B falls into the category of "good enough". It doesn't have the clarity of a Modulus or Roscoe, but it sounds like it belongs on this bass. Some fivers seem to have a B that either booms uncontrollably or is hard to get enough volume out of. This one balances well with the other strings (to be fair, the B on my Modulus Q6 was better). Definitely useable, and not just for the low notes.

Playability is about as effortless as any bass I've ever played. The combination of neck shape, string spacing and scale length just fits me.

It took a little while to get used to it since I've been playing a Jazz for some time, but the more I play it, the more I like it.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Sounds good to me man.

It's always good to find the bass that fits YOUR needs! :hyper: I recently did that myself :)

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love those old Tobias's. Great growly basses.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You found that pic awful fast ;)

:eyebrow:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Faster than a speeding google.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I actually prefer something skimpier, but I decided to keep it PG for the younger TBers.

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I totally understand.

9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    glad you like the tobias Mark! I knew it would find a good home, you should still get Ron Foos to autograph the back of the headstock if you ever get a chance.
    I'm still trying to get used to playing a 6er, been taking that modulus of yours to two of my gigs weekly. I'm still hitting a clam once in a while when I forget I have another string, and last night I really botched a solo part I'm used to doing on a 5, but I figure it will come.