1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The sound of a double -P- bass-

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 6, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I love how Fender style basses sound, i have tried several Precisions and jazzes and i have always preferred the P. let me introduce my thoughts better: i prefer the Precision pickup to the neck pickup of the jazz, but i love the sound of a jazz pickup in the bridge position. so i like a lot the Pj combination. i had in mind to build a bass with Precision body and neck and Pj pickups. but now i would like to know how a Precision pickup sounds in bridge position. i have never heard or played a bass with this configuration made of 2 precision pickups. i know the Fender made the Elite and Gibson the Leland Sklar in this configuration. can you tell me how a P pickup compare to a J pickup in bridge position?
    thanks

i think to a bass similar to this (thanks to Bob G. for the pic) but passive and with rosewood fingerboard.[​IMG]

2. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always wonderes why a J neck, P bridge bass almost never exist. I say almost, because while I have never seen one, maybe one of you guys have?

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Most of the newer B.C Rich Basses have dual P Pickups. Also some of the older models had them too. A friend of mine has A Neck Thru N.J Series B.C Rich mockingbird with dual P's and i like the sound of it. It loses some growl compared to a P-J IMO.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've seen Bossas that were P-P. Wasn't there a Yamaha this way also?

5. The problem with a P/J is that, unless the P is soloed, there will be some hum/noise (unless there is a REALLY good sheilding job). That is why J/J works better then P/J. The reason that the Elite II's didnt take off were not because they are bad basses, they are very nice. The 80's were not a good era for Fender, so they got low sales because of the bad reputation. There was a design flaw in the Elite Strats, and that also contributed to the low sales of the P *which was stupid, because the Elites didn't have the problem*

So yeah, you all got a great history lesson on Elite II's!

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How about Bart quad coils, to get either P or J sounds?

I think a few of the DPCustoms lately have used these.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not stock, but I recall seeing a J bass that was modified to have a P pickup at the bridge in my hometown music store about 25 years ago. Boy those wacky 70s :rolleyes:

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The P pickup has better bass response, and the J has more cut and definition(good for harmonics). If you put the P where a J normally goes, you are using the pickup against its natural strength. Also you miss out on the attack a J would give you in that spot...but as they say, to each his own.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have found this wonderful pic on the usacustomguitars.com website.

it's really similar to what i want to realize:

[​IMG]

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks nice! Needs another string.

11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Check out the "Multi-string" section at www.basspalace.com... there's a 5-string F Bass there with 2 P pickups. It looks mucho sweet!

12. the bassist from Anthrax, Frank Bello plays a P bass with a P p/up at the bridge as well (not sure if it's an Elite or just a modded P bass).

the intro to "Got the time" is bass on its own- sounds similar to a PJ setup.

also Dave Ellefson of Megadeth used a BC Rich Mockingbird with dual P p/ups for a while - eg. the intro to "Peace sells...but who's buying?"

re. J + P (J at neck, p at bridge) one of bassists of Girls against Boys had a custom semi-acoustic (metal-bodied, apparently) with this setup.