Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The sound of a double -P- bass-

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, May 6, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I love how Fender style basses sound, i have tried several Precisions and jazzes and i have always preferred the P. let me introduce my thoughts better: i prefer the Precision pickup to the neck pickup of the jazz, but i love the sound of a jazz pickup in the bridge position. so i like a lot the Pj combination. i had in mind to build a bass with Precision body and neck and Pj pickups. but now i would like to know how a Precision pickup sounds in bridge position. i have never heard or played a bass with this configuration made of 2 precision pickups. i know the Fender made the Elite and Gibson the Leland Sklar in this configuration. can you tell me how a P pickup compare to a J pickup in bridge position?
    thanks

i think to a bass similar to this (thanks to Bob G. for the pic) but passive and with rosewood fingerboard.[​IMG]

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I always wonderes why a J neck, P bridge bass almost never exist. I say almost, because while I have never seen one, maybe one of you guys have?

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Most of the newer B.C Rich Basses have dual P Pickups. Also some of the older models had them too. A friend of mine has A Neck Thru N.J Series B.C Rich mockingbird with dual P's and i like the sound of it. It loses some growl compared to a P-J IMO.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've seen Bossas that were P-P. Wasn't there a Yamaha this way also?

5. The problem with a P/J is that, unless the P is soloed, there will be some hum/noise (unless there is a REALLY good sheilding job). That is why J/J works better then P/J. The reason that the Elite II's didnt take off were not because they are bad basses, they are very nice. The 80's were not a good era for Fender, so they got low sales because of the bad reputation. There was a design flaw in the Elite Strats, and that also contributed to the low sales of the P *which was stupid, because the Elites didn't have the problem*

So yeah, you all got a great history lesson on Elite II's!

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How about Bart quad coils, to get either P or J sounds?

I think a few of the DPCustoms lately have used these.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not stock, but I recall seeing a J bass that was modified to have a P pickup at the bridge in my hometown music store about 25 years ago. Boy those wacky 70s :rolleyes:

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The P pickup has better bass response, and the J has more cut and definition(good for harmonics). If you put the P where a J normally goes, you are using the pickup against its natural strength. Also you miss out on the attack a J would give you in that spot...but as they say, to each his own.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have found this wonderful pic on the usacustomguitars.com website.

it's really similar to what i want to realize:

[​IMG]

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks nice! Needs another string.

11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Check out the "Multi-string" section at www.basspalace.com... there's a 5-string F Bass there with 2 P pickups. It looks mucho sweet!

12. the bassist from Anthrax, Frank Bello plays a P bass with a P p/up at the bridge as well (not sure if it's an Elite or just a modded P bass).

the intro to "Got the time" is bass on its own- sounds similar to a PJ setup.

also Dave Ellefson of Megadeth used a BC Rich Mockingbird with dual P p/ups for a while - eg. the intro to "Peace sells...but who's buying?"

re. J + P (J at neck, p at bridge) one of bassists of Girls against Boys had a custom semi-acoustic (metal-bodied, apparently) with this setup.